Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Santa Claus was very good to me this year. I got a new alpine head unit, amp and focal speakers to go in my 03 996. I went with 5"1/4 speakers for the doors, tweeters are installed in the dash, and I mounted a set of three-way 6x9's in the quarter panels. I hid the crossovers behind the amp to make it look as clean as possible. The sound difference is AMAZING!! I highly recommend the focal speakers if you're looking to upgrade.

post-41598-1262905901_thumb.jpgpost-41598-1262905907_thumb.jpg

Santa Claus was very good to me this year. I got a new alpine head unit, amp and focal speakers to go in my 03 996. I went with 5"1/4 speakers for the doors, tweeters are installed in the dash, and I mounted a set of three-way 6x9's in the quarter panels. I hid the crossovers behind the amp to make it look as clean as possible. The sound difference is AMAZING!! I highly recommend the focal speakers if you're looking to upgrade.

What model number were the Focal speakers??

Thx Darren

Access 130 A1 for the front. The mids will bolt right into the factory location in the door. I mounted the tweeters to the dash frame under the factory grilles and used the existing wiring harness. The rears are RIP 690 C. I used a dremel with a 1/4" router bit to slowly trim away enough material for the speaker to fit.

Best of luck.

Did you retain the original Haes amplifier?

Bob

You can't use the existing amplifier with the aftermarket head unit since it's controlled by a fiber optic cable. I have seen photos of crossovers mounted in that location, but lots of wiring is exposed and it looks a bit too busy for my taste. I left it in place to help conceal the wiring, but it's not connected. Hope that helps.

You can't use the existing amplifier with the aftermarket head unit since it's controlled by a fiber optic cable. I have seen photos of crossovers mounted in that location, but lots of wiring is exposed and it looks a bit too busy for my taste. I left it in place to help conceal the wiring, but it's not connected. Hope that helps.

Very helpful. I have an 02 996 C2, which does not have the MOST nomenclature, but my 6 x 40W Haes amp looks like the one you left in place to hide the busy stuff.

What are the model #'s of your Alpine head unit and amp. The Alpine PDX5 amp looks tasty, but since none of the sellers on the web want to show the details of where the wires go, and where you need access for control settings, I can't tell if it will fit in that deeper area next to the Haes.

Bob

I went for the OEM look and managed to track down a Becker Traffic Pro:

beck1.jpg

beck2.jpg

Next will be upgrading the speakers with Focal 6.5", 4" and tweets and a decent 4 channel Soundstream or Genesis amp. Will also be replacing the CD Changer with Solisto Ipod /USB stick player very shortly.

I went for the OEM look and managed to track down a Becker Traffic Pro:

beck1.jpg

beck2.jpg

Next will be upgrading the speakers with Focal 6.5", 4" and tweets and a decent 4 channel Soundstream or Genesis amp. Will also be replacing the CD Changer with Solisto Ipod /USB stick player very shortly.

Hi!

I am in the process of upgrading my audio system also. I have a '99 Carrera 4 and will also be keeping the OEM look with the factory CR-220 head unit in order to preserve the originality of the car; however I will be replacing and adding the balance of the hardware. I have opted for the Alpine PDX-4.100 amplifier, Alpine PXE-H650 System Integration Audio Processor and Focal 165 V3 Polyglass Line 3 way speakers. I have also purchased the Solisto Pro which has replaced the CD changer so that I can enjoy my digital repertoire via USB stick or iPod. I’m still debating if I should add a subwoofer in the back of the rear seats.

I look forward to see how your installation turns out as I will not be commencing my project for another couple of months as my PC is having some cosmetic work done during the winter months while in storage.

Cheers,

Steff

Edited by steffd

Am buying an 02 996... im sitting in Iraq right now and looking into parts for a full stereo upgrade; Double din Navigation/ DVD, 2 pair 6.5 component... my question is what is the dimensions behind the rear seats LxWxD to the top of the rear seats.... this would be great help cause i have seen the custom boxes and am not to impressed with running anything smaller then a ten inch woofer.... Thanks SSG Trevor Bakich

Am buying an 02 996... im sitting in Iraq right now and looking into parts for a full stereo upgrade; Double din Navigation/ DVD, 2 pair 6.5 component... my question is what is the dimensions behind the rear seats LxWxD to the top of the rear seats.... this would be great help cause i have seen the custom boxes and am not to impressed with running anything smaller then a ten inch woofer.... Thanks SSG Trevor Bakich

Hi Trevor,

Have a look at this. I have been e-mailing back and forth with Rod from Car Audio Innovations and he knows his stuff regarding Porsche audio setups. They also fabricate a great looking subwoofer enclosure that keeps things looking very clean and factory original. You need to keep in mind that not only must you factor in the space that's available which is not that much to start off with but you must also ensure room for sufficient air displacement in the enclosure.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche996sub.htm

Cheers,

Steph

Edited by steffd

Hi Trevor,

Have a look at this. I have been e-mailing back and forth with Rod from Car Audio Innovations and he knows his stuff regarding Porsche audio setups. They also fabricate a great looking subwoofer enclosure that keeps things looking very clean and factory original. You need to keep in mind that not only must you factor in the space that's available which is not that much to start off with but you must also ensure room for sufficient air displacement in the enclosure.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche996sub.htm

Cheers,

Steph

Steph... i have seen the couple setups for audio innovations and they are nice but I am looking at putting one 10" woofer and my 5 channel amp behind the seats.... i do know there is very little room behind the rear seats and thats why i am looking for the dimensions of behind the seats to the top of the seats so that i can start working on the design while im here in Iraq. The little off time i have here it would be something to keep my mind off the war. Thanks for your input... i will be posting my design and pictures when i do get back to the states on what i come up with.

trevor

Did you discard the factory speaker sound enhancement enclosures inside the doors/body...? I don't see how they could be used with you new, larger speakers and if not I'm surprised at any speaker sound improvement you say you acheived.

Edited by wwest