Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket mufflers - I'm confused...!

Hi,

After 1-month ownership of my 996 targa (2002 - without PSE) I am seriously considering changing the stock mufflers to something else. Prior to my 996 I had a Boxster S (987) and it seemed to have a much more aggressive sound than my stock 996 :unsure: Basically I'm looking for the raspy and aggressive sound as the PSE - but I can't seem to figure out, what to choose without spending $ 2000 on the PSE?! :help:

Bottom-line is that I now have spent an embarrassing number of hours looking for the PERFECT muffler-system for my 996 on the web and here on Renntech. Based on my searches I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following systems:

Dansk - super sound version

http://www.jpgroup.dk/sstudio/?car=4&t...k&exhaust=2

Also sold by FVD

Or

German modified 996-mufflers (as seen on different ebay sites) Is it’s sound really as similar to the PSE-system as people are saying???

Does anyone in here has any experience on any of the above systems (maybe sound or video-files of the systems).....? According to the Dansk manufacturer, their products are sold under different names by several "Porsche tuners" - I think Agency have the same system, but I'm not sure - can anyone confirm this?

I have also been looking at the mufflers from Fabspeed but I think they will be to loud in the long run (the car is my daily driver)

All recommendations on other mufflers are welcome......! :renntech:

Regards,

Mads

The FVD sounds nice, how much is that one? Is that a cat back system or just mufflers?

Hi,

After 1-month ownership of my 996 targa (2002 - without PSE) I am seriously considering changing the stock mufflers to something else. Prior to my 996 I had a Boxster S (987) and it seemed to have a much more aggressive sound than my stock 996 :unsure: Basically I'm looking for the raspy and aggressive sound as the PSE - but I can't seem to figure out, what to choose without spending $ 2000 on the PSE?! :help:

Bottom-line is that I now have spent an embarrassing number of hours looking for the PERFECT muffler-system for my 996 on the web and here on Renntech. Based on my searches I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following systems:

Also sold by FVD

Or

German modified 996-mufflers (as seen on different ebay sites) Is it’s sound really as similar to the PSE-system as people are saying???

Does anyone in here has any experience on any of the above systems (maybe sound or video-files of the systems).....? According to the Dansk manufacturer, their products are sold under different names by several "Porsche tuners" - I think Agency have the same system, but I'm not sure - can anyone confirm this?

I have also been looking at the mufflers from Fabspeed but I think they will be to loud in the long run (the car is my daily driver)

Regards,

Mads

The price for the FVD is EUR 695 - I talked to FVD on Friday, and they said I could get a little discount as well...... it is only the mufflers - check out the link: :jump:

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/996-14-2...50/Muffler.html

The FVD sounds nice, how much is that one? Is that a cat back system or just mufflers?

Hi,

Also sold by FVD

Or

Regards,

Mads

I went through this same exhausting exercise when I had my 996. Do you want more sound or more sound and slightly more HP? My advice is to save money and go with mufflers that do not cost a arm and a leg. Some companys want almost 2k or more for them....plain stupid in my opinion

I would look at these:

M&K exhaust

AH Exhaust

AWE

If you want to spend big money look at these

Tubi

Fabspeed

GHL

If you just want sound look into the hacked up stock pipes.

or

look in classifieds for a used exhaust - they are available all the time.....

....I must say that I really like the PSE sound..... but can't decide on which mufflers system that will bring me a sound similar to the PSE?!?! :help:

I asked for the price for a PSE at my Porsche dealer, and he informed me that Porsche almost doubled the price for the system....!! :censored:

I love the sound of the PSE as in this you-tube clip

Edited by Loren
made video viewable here

I spent literally months researching exhaust systems. Too loud, too tiny, poor materials were found. I chose FVD. German made and backed by Willie Brombacher himself. The new sound is incredible, muscular and not obnoxious. At wot it puts out a beautiful note.

....I must say that I really like the PSE sound..... but can't decide on which mufflers system that will bring me a sound similar to the PSE?!?! :help:

I asked for the price for a PSE at my Porsche dealer, and he informed me that Porsche almost doubled the price for the system....!! :censored:

I love the sound of the PSE as in this you-tube clip

PSE is about $6995.00 these days...hardly worth the money.....

Jacaba,

Do you have any sound clips or video clips of the system on your car? ;)

I talked to FVD and they also recommended their own Brombacher system - did you get the system with sound switch? (I think the product number is BES 996 050 00SK)

Due to the new high price of the PSE-system, this is out of the question for me.....! :eek:

• 1 month later...

No I don't have a sound clip. I chose FVD over others because they carry a two year guarantee. The exhaust note after 1500 miles is starting to gurgle, growl and scream . . . as it was designed to do. I'm extremely happy with my choice, too. I didn't want that obnoxious and attention getting noise either. I get that from my 1969 muscle car. I wanted the "pure" Porsche sound that has subtle symphonic notes to it at idle and a rock 'n roll note at wot. FVD is German TUV made/approved. No gimmicky stuff here but true quality and great customer service. When a mistake was made on measurement with the first set of mufflers sent to me Willie Brombacher himself tried them on his 996 and discovered the error. He then had them corrected in Germany and forwarded to me in California in three days. Speaking of service . . . you can't beat that. I hope this helps. FVD is the way to go, in my opinion.

I changed mine to DesignTek Sports exhaust it gives a deep sports car sound, throaty at idle and medium speeds, don't know why but after a few thousand miles it seems to sound better more throaty more in tune and responsive? Good guy's good service, nice exhaust's.

Or I wished I looked at europipe exhaust's first, there based in Belgium and have a amazing sound deep & throaty, I've talked to the guy's and they are very informative and not pushy at all, but there not the cheapest there exhaust's look expensive just by looking at the weld's on them, very nice hand made piece's.

Check out:

www.design911.co.uk

www.europipe.be

One thing to always check with any exhaust set up is Lambda Oxygen Sensor's always make sure there installed properly

(i talking from rough experience)

Edited by JamesD

If your looking for PSE, I just sprung for them and got them for <$700 (no wiring). The best idea is to get them used from someone who had it as a factory option and was looking for something louder, there seems to be a fair number of people doing that. The sound is way more aggressive but it's not that much louder inside (tire noise still drowns out most of the engine till >3k RPM).

If your looking for PSE, I just sprung for them and got them for <$700 (no wiring). The best idea is to get them used from someone who had it as a factory option and was looking for something louder, there seems to be a fair number of people doing that. The sound is way more aggressive but it's not that much louder inside (tire noise still drowns out most of the engine till >3k RPM).

Bosstucker,

Thank you for the info - were you just lucky to find a used system on ebay or can you recommend other places to look? :thumbup:

Regards...!

Jacaba,

Do you have any sound clips or video clips of the system on your car? ;)

I talked to FVD and they also recommended their own Brombacher system - did you get the system with sound switch? (I think the product number is BES 996 050 00SK)

Due to the new high price of the PSE-system, this is out of the question for me.....! :eek:

Hi Guys,

I'm looking with great interest at the switchable FVD Brombacher system at the moment as well. Do you know if it also uses the Porsce PSE switch on the dash, or some other type of aftermarket switch tucked away?

The new PSE price is really very high now.

I'm on Fabspeed currently and looking to change. I can't really take the resonance at mid 2k rpm. The PSE on the other hand is just right, and no drone. I hoping that the FVD Brombacher system is like the PSE....

On a recent PCA "spirited" drive I was behind a 996 that sounded great - even over my own wailing 3.2. So I asked what it was, and, sure enuf, it was PSE.

Made me want it! Now if the :censored: markets would just come back so I can afford one.