Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBD diagnostic manual

So I have the boxster Technical manual and the bentley service manual. Both have good information about how to replace a part etc.. but nothing like a diagnostic procedure based on the fault codes. Ideally I'd like to have the Porsche OBD2 diagnostic manual for boxster (WKD 483 620) but that costs about $700-1K online. Anyone know of other useful publication that could be obtained a little cheaper?

Pelican Parts sells this -> http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...s_pg1.htm#item2

Anyone has this? any good? more information than what i have in my technical manual or the bentley guide?

I bought the yellow cover Porsche Owners Maintenance Manual by the same author. Nowhere as useful as the Bentley. A while ago, Sunset was selling the Porsche OBD manual for a great price - see Porsche Factory Repair Manual Sale, Sunset Imports. Even though it wasn't the latest DME version, there is lots of useful information. You might want to check with Sunset to see what they have left in stock

I have a copy of the factory Boxster OBD II Manual. What exactly are you looking for in it? It is probably more applicable to 97-99 models as it goes through alot of diagnostics for that troublesome secondary emission system that porsche carried over from the 993. Having said , its got some interesting stuff in it.

regards

well! nothing specific at the moment. but wanted to have it as a good reference to understand fault codes and be able to follow a diagnostic procedure to identify and fix problems. Posting on the forum is definitely helpful but having done the diagnosis homework would help articulate the problem well and get more specific advice.

update on the bruce whittier manual on pelican parts.

The sales guy replied to my query saying it has "rudimentary tips on the fault codes"

update on the factory obd manual with sunset.

No deal. costs about $650

Edited by hucqym

A lot of people here seem to buy the factory manuals from user porschelibrarian (I have no experience with him/her). You might want to PM him to see what he has

Be aware that many manual sets or CDs are not updated with the latest corrections. And many are not complete with even the latest 986 model year information (The CDs are typically 98-99 vintage and not updated nor current for later models. Which is not to say they aren't helpful). Not to mention that many are sold in violation of Porsche's Intellectual Property rights.

Be sure and get the manual that matches the DME revision that is in your car.

update on the bruce whittier manual on pelican parts.

The sales guy replied to my query saying it has "rudimentary tips on the fault codes"

You might see if one pops up on CL or ebay, as they seem to every now and then for about $100-200. The manual is definitely more informative then your regular Bentley version by far. They run into alot of how to's for the diagnostic procedures as well as the paths and routes to look at.

regards

• 1 month later...

The 986 Workshop manuals, TSBs, wiring diagrams, OBDII manuals I have collected are updated and contain the information for all years, all models and updates thru a few months ago. Just about all the other CDs I have seen for download or on Ebay are 97 through 2000 and do not include every year wiring diagrams up till 2004 or the OBDII manuals or Diagnostic Manual as I do.