Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Springs

tjmturbo

Loren,

Have a GT3 2007. Primary use is at track day events.

I run slicks with upgraded H&R springs at 400lb front and 600lb rear.

Will be upgrading the dampers to Motons and stiffer springs.

I am thinking about going to 700lb front and 900lb rear.

When changing the springs as described above do I need to change the tenders as well?

How does one determine what tenders to use with the different spring rates?

I realize this is a bit complicated but can you shed a little light on the roll of the tenders

Some people say put them on the top and others say put them on the bottom.

Thanks

Tom

I think by tenders, he means helper springs.

My $0.02 is that you don't need them on a race/track setup like the one mentioned.

I haven't upgraded my suspension yet, but based upon 997 GT3s I've ridden in/driven on the track, I would go for a slightly higher spring rate than what the OP mentioned maybe 900/1000 or 950/1050 or 1100.

I attached a picture of a sample set of coilovers with the components idetified.

When you use a race spring the size varies considerably most of the time they are smaller.

The tendor spring takes up the space and acts as a filler so the main spring doesn't flop around when unloaded.

Spring rates can also be complicated depending on the damper and track conditions.

Spring rates over 1000lbs seem to designed for race only cars that carry many more suspension components than a street or DE car.

A helper spring is yet another type of spring.

Any help would be appreciated.

If this is too complicated just let me know. I know suspension geometry can get crazy.

post-20250-1263944086_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Stock springs are progressive rate springs so no helper is needed. Most mods will use a fixed rate spring plus a helper or tender (typically 150 lbs)

I am running Moton Club Sports with 750 F/900R with helpers and am pleased with setup on my primarily track car. Two shops cautioned me not to go stiffer without a full cage as body will flex before springs... Friends with full cage dedicated track/race cars are running 1000F/1200R.