Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

On the hunt....Low mileage vs age

I'm looking at two 2001 996s; one is a 6-spd heavily optioned with only 13K miles, the other is an "average" optioned Carrera 4 Tiptronic with 23K miles. The Porsche dealer selling the 6-speed wants a huge premium for the low miles, the other is at a Cadillac dealer and priced pretty much where Edmunds is. Would I be facing any serious maintenance issues from vehicle age on either of these cars, even though both have very low miles? Should I be looking for any major items in the service records.

Edited by DWPC

I'm looking at two 2001 966s; one is a 6-spd heavily optioned with only 13K miles, the other is an "average" optioned Carrera 4 Tiptronic with 23K miles. The Porsche dealer selling the 6-speed wants a huge premium for the low miles, the other is at a Cadillac dealer and priced pretty much where Edmunds is. Would I be facing any serious maintenance issues from vehicle age on either of these cars, even though both have very low miles? Should I be looking for any major items in the service records.

You've come to the right place! I remember reading dozens of really good posts/opinions/admonishments from Renntech experts on this topic. Those threads helped me immensely when i was in the buying process. Have you tried a search on the web site?

Good luck with the car search :renntech:

I just went through this a similar dillema. I was looking at 2 - 2003 996 C2's; one with only 11K miles and average options; the other had many options including X51 but had 50K miles. It was priced about 2K$ more... I ended up going with the low mileage car just becase it was so clean and seemed brand new. The other car was in perfect condition but something about having a car with such low miles was too much to pass up. I can drive it for a few years and still have a low mileage car. I love my car and that new and tight feeling is still great! I also purchased a 4yr/48k mile warranty so I could enjoy stress free driving for a few years. Many here will tell you to watch out for low mileage cars which is one reason I went with a warranty.

I am curious.. what are the asking prices for the cars you are looking at?

How much of a premium are they attributing to the low miles?

Exactly how are they optioned?

Good luck! :)

Edited by direwolf

A 9 year old car with 13K miles. That will seriously scares me. These engines are designed to be running. not for making 1000 miles a year.

Now, you gonna have to ask the seller how many times he flushed the coolant, the brakes, changed seals that may become crusty/dry, suspension bushings, hoses, oil changes... etc...

Sometimes, people think they don't need maintenance since the car hasn't been running.

GL

joel

I'll argue there is virtually no difference between 13k miles and 23k miles for a 9 year old car.

get a ppi, and go with what ever one fits you.

If you want a C4 with a tip -- get that one -- seems like it is the better bargain.

If you drive it -- 2 years from now will you notice the difference between 30K and 40k miles?

If you were going to tell me 11k miles and 50K miles like a previous poster mentioned -- than

that is a different story.

m

I just went through similar process. The diff on the ones I was looking at (and asked about here) was between 30K and 60K, the 60K being a CPO car. From reading here and talking to couple Porsche service techs, one from the dealer in town and one independent, low miles on a Porsche is not necessarily a good thing. In fact one of the techs told me straight out very low miles is a mark against the car. These cars are made to be driven, if they sit for long periods of time a lot of issues will occur, problems with seals being one of them. And as another poster said I would be worried about how often was the oil and fluids changed and systems flushed.

Thanks for the feedback. I've dropped the car with 13K miles...the dealer wants over $40K and I think that's nuts for an '01 regardless of mileage. The other has a couple issue...I've posted some specifics above. The mileage doesn't match the apparent wear/deterioration on soft parts unless maybe the car spent all that time parked outside.

Edited by DWPC