Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reverse lip rims?; 19" and wet weather

I've an 07 Boxster S w/ OEM 18" rims. I want new rims, probably 19" Carrera Sport. I've seen discussions of issues w/ reverse lip rims, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what this means. Can the board help me with that? I assume it's not found on the Carrea Sport or SportDesign rims offered by Porsche. Correct?

Some report big problems with balance issues when a reverse lip rim fails to shed rainwater. My car is driven in the rain, quickly, so I can't have this issue. Also, it appears that reverse lip imbalance is a problem in some (all?) models made by HRE, DPE and iForged. True?

Finally, some discussions have suggested that 19" setups don't handle heavy rain as well as 18." I'm dubious on this (assuming wet weather tires), but am concerned because I want very good rain traction -- figuiring I'll push the car's limits in rain much more than I'll push its limits on dry pavement. No snow or ice, just rain.

Best

I've an 07 Boxster S w/ OEM 18" rims. I want new rims, probably 19" Carrera Sport. I've seen discussions of issues w/ reverse lip rims, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what this means. Can the board help me with that? I assume it's not found on the Carrea Sport or SportDesign rims offered by Porsche. Correct?

Some report big problems with balance issues when a reverse lip rim fails to shed rainwater. My car is driven in the rain, quickly, so I can't have this issue. Also, it appears that reverse lip imbalance is a problem in some (all?) models made by HRE, DPE and iForged. True?

Finally, some discussions have suggested that 19" setups don't handle heavy rain as well as 18." I'm dubious on this (assuming wet weather tires), but am concerned because I want very good rain traction -- figuiring I'll push the car's limits in rain much more than I'll push its limits on dry pavement. No snow or ice, just rain.

Best

Can't help you with the reverse lip issue, but I run 19" Carrera Classics with Michelin Pilot Sports on my 08 S and haven't noticed any unusual lack of traction on wet roads or balance issues under wet conditions either. It will definitely come loose if I get on it though and I definitely don't drive with them on snow or ice either! I have in the past and they are a bear to handle.

• 3 weeks later...