Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can a Tip in manual mode over-rev the engine?

996 prospect here. My Audi's Tiptronic will not allow over-revving the engine in manual mode. It upshifts at redline. Does the Porsche Tip (in manual mode) do the same, or can it be driven to a dangerous engine speed.

Edited by DWPC

996 prospect here. My Audi's Tiptronic will not allow over-revving the engine in manual mode. It upshifts at redline. Does the Porsche Tip (in manual mode) do the same, or can it be driven to a dangerous engine speed.

The rev-limiter will not allow the engine to overrev, whether it's a manual or automatic in normal operation. Downshifting in a manual car can easily cause an overrev. Not sure about downshifting in a Tip.

Regards, Maurice.

The tiptronic will not over-rev the engine. If for example you are going to fast for a gear it just won't let you down shift no matter how many times you push the minus/downshift button. The Tiptronic S is an amazing transmission in my opinion. I think the 99-01 tiptronics are different than the 02-05 tiptronics.

I have a 1999 Carrera 4 TIP. The transmission will automatically shift just before the redline when in manual mode (and in automatic mode of course). This is superior to the system in my Mercedes Benz that simply cuts the engine if redline is reached - does not upshift (admittedly it's not a high-end MB).

Assuming 996 tips are programmed the same as 986, I've found it gives an extra margin of safety on downshifts, too. For instance, I can get my 04 986S to about 70mph in 2nd gear before it upshifts to 3rd, but I can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd unless I'm under 60. It will automatically upshift at the redline, even in manual mode, which is nice, and I use it all the time. The new PDK 997.2s do the same thing- latest C&D track test, they said they completely stopped manually upshifting, and just let the car do it.