Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic self-levelling function failure

A slightly curious problem has situation has arisen on my MY02 Boxster..

A month ago, the self-levelling function one of my Litronic lights stopped working. The lamp itself still shines but it's permanently in the most-dipped position and no end of switching off and on etc would bring it back to normal.

I suspected it could have been a simple dry connection somewhere but after removing the light assembly and plugging it back, that didn't hasn't done the trick.

Yesterday, the other side failed too!

I've seen the parts catalog and note that there appears to be a little electric motor "996 631 125 00 electric motor headlight levelling system" that could be at fault but I've done a few searches and not found much about this problem and it is quite odd that the failure happened on both sides about a month apart!

Any ideas?

• Moderators

The self leveling function is covered in the body memory, (let) check the existing fault codes, there are several possibilities, power, leveling sensors, leveling motors, wiring, connectors, etc.

The self leveling function is covered in the body memory, (let) check the existing fault codes, there are several possibilities, power, leveling sensors, leveling motors, wiring, connectors, etc.

Where are the sensors? I imagined that they were within the light units themselves but on the parts diagram, I can see that there is a control unit: Item 28 (996 618 151 15, control unit headlight levelling system) but I can't see where the "sensor headlight levelling system (see group 4/01/00 5/01/01)" parts are to be found. Are they mounted on the front suspension?

Cheers,

Are your Litronics factory installed or the Tequipment retrofit set? I did the Porsche retrofit, and there are no sensors on the suspension arms, only the factory version. Mine go through some up and down process when I start the car, but it's not the true leveling like the factory install, just making sure the motor works to support the high beam tilt-up function. If your lights don't move up when you turn on the high beams, check the second set of wiring that supports the high beam. Otherwise, your lights will be stuck in the most dipped position. Options for connecting the second wiring harness include clamp on connectors, pulling pins or soldering on to existing wiring, any of which could cause a problem.

If you don't have the washers for the lights, your lights were added after the factory build

Are your Litronics factory installed or the Tequipment retrofit set? I did the Porsche retrofit, and there are no sensors on the suspension arms, only the factory version. Mine go through some up and down process when I start the car, but it's not the true leveling like the factory install, just making sure the motor works to support the high beam tilt-up function. If your lights don't move up when you turn on the high beams, check the second set of wiring that supports the high beam. Otherwise, your lights will be stuck in the most dipped position. Options for connecting the second wiring harness include clamp on connectors, pulling pins or soldering on to existing wiring, any of which could cause a problem.

If you don't have the washers for the lights, your lights were added after the factory build

I have the OEM Litronics. Just to confirm the self levelling function appears to have failed because the lights are stuck in the most dipped position. If I switch to high beam, they high beam comes on but the littronics stay on, but in the fully down position. Perhaps the fact that they are stuck down might indicate that it's the system fault rather than a faulty self-levelling motor...

With so many variables, It might be a bit beyond me to crack this so I may have to admit defeat and ask a dealer....

I still find it a bit odd that I've not seen any other posts on the interweb about this type of problem as I can't imagine I'm the first to suffer this issue!

I may post on the 996 board...

Thanks for the help and info so far guys!

The OEM Litronics install has a leveling sensor on the drivers side wheel suspension arm and also on the rear drivers side wheel suspension arm, both of these levelers connect to the litronic computer in your front trunk, the computer is on the passenger side of the trunk, the computer has a harness that connects to both Litronics. You may want to check the plugs on your Litronics to make sure they are properly connected and also check the computer to make sure the plugs are all properly plugged in.

The other day while replacing my half axle, I noticed that the wiring to that sensor was rubbed and almost broken. This was in the left wheel well. I repaired it. I'm not sure what was rubbing on it. I would check it. You just have to remove the left rear wheel. The sensor is attached to the control arm. It's pretty flimsy. The arm might have also detached or something.

Thanks guys, I'll try and take a look at the sensors and wiring again this weekend - as long as it isn't -5C like it has been today. It's still a rather curious fact pattern though as one unit failed first and then the other one followed within a month....

• 2 months later...

Finally found a discussion about this. I am new to an 01 986 and am working to make it like new, or as best I can. Today began the task of restoring the wheel wells and cleaning the wheels inside and out. I was dismayed to see what not appears to be the Litronis actuator broken at the mount to the suspension and is just dangling. How do I go about repairing this? Is it a welding thing?

Much thanks and I knew my first official post would be for a broken part.

DW

• Admin

Finally found a discussion about this. I am new to an 01 986 and am working to make it like new, or as best I can. Today began the task of restoring the wheel wells and cleaning the wheels inside and out. I was dismayed to see what not appears to be the Litronis actuator broken at the mount to the suspension and is just dangling. How do I go about repairing this? Is it a welding thing?

Much thanks and I knew my first official post would be for a broken part.

DW

:welcome:

Which part has broken?

post-1-127214122789_thumb.png

• Admin

Ok - you lost me there .

Can you tell me what parts (item numbers) you need?

Sorry. Looking at the drawing you posted part #21 is missing. The other two assemblies on the rear wheels are OK.

Item 21

996.341.371.03 Support -- US MSRP $3.80

Ok - you lost me there .

Can you tell me what parts (item numbers) you need?

Sorry. Looking at the drawing you posted part #21 is missing. The other two assemblies on the rear wheels are OK.

Item 21

996.341.371.03 Support -- US MSRP $3.80

Thanks Loren.

Loren,

Again, many thanks for the part number. Have had an NSX for years and it's just not possible to find people with the info you guys here have, makes the Boxster S project much fun.

The part number you provided, 996.341.371.03, seems to be available at a parts house in NC but their minimum order is well above the price of this part. I will attempt to order through the dealer tomorrow but it's a pain to get there. Have you suggestions of a good place to order from?

Also, it looks like the part snaps into the suspension arm, do you have any experience with it and am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks for you time. Best,

Don

• Admin

Loren,

Again, many thanks for the part number. Have had an NSX for years and it's just not possible to find people with the info you guys here have, makes the Boxster S project much fun.

The part number you provided, 996.341.371.03, seems to be available at a parts house in NC but their minimum order is well above the price of this part. I will attempt to order through the dealer tomorrow but it's a pain to get there. Have you suggestions of a good place to order from?

Also, it looks like the part snaps into the suspension arm, do you have any experience with it and am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks for you time. Best,

Don

Sunset Porsche (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) link at top right of any page.

Or since the cost is so low any local Porsche dealer - but don't pay over MSRP. Dealers that charge over MSRP make me angry.

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just found my leveling arms dangling there while changing my brakes. I nearest dealer wanted $9 for the part. Thats 2-3x MSRP!! I never drive the boxster at night so I'll just wait until I need some other parts and added to my next order from sunset.

• 2 years later...

Adding to the knowledge base. I ran a Durametric on my '01 996 C4 after a ROW M030 suspension kit install, and got the following faults for the Litronic HBA:

Current Fault Codes

1:Engine path left

2:Engine path right

3:Axle-position sensor front

4:Axle-position sensor rear

Inspected the front sensor and saw that part #21 was hanging. It must have gotten dislodged during the suspension install. I snapped it back into place, cleared the codes, and all is well again.

Nothing in the Bentley Book on this. Glad I have this forum to rely on.

Edited by 1dmurrray

• 3 years later...

I had a similar issue on my litronic headlamps (UK RHD car) where the self levelling stoppped working on both headlamps.

I removed the both headlamps to find the one of the litronic connectors had worked its way loose. Connecting it back in place fixed the issue.

So I can conclude that if the connector for one of the headlamps (litronic lamps only) becomes disconnected, the self-levelling on both lamps will stop operating correctly.