Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What weight of Mobil 1 to use?

I know this is a bit of a religious question, but what are most of you guys using as far as oil weight? The previous owner of my '98 2.5 always ran Mobil 1 10W-30, he was living in Southern Arkansas. I am in Northern Kansas and when I got the car last year, I used 10W-30 just because that is what he was using. Should I be using another weight?

Thanks in advance,

-Grant

At the risk of beating a dead horse, please check your owners manual. I use 5w 30 in a similar climate because I want quicker flow and protection on startup. My preference is 5w 40 which is a diesel oil, look for an ACEA rating of at least A3/B3. Mobile 1 turbo diesel truck oil is available everywhere (walmart) or Shell Rotella T Synthetic, both are available in 5w 40. If you need something to read about oil, try this:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles

I've found that oil preferences are like farts, everyone else stinks, but I like mine.

Edited by N41EF

I think any 5w 40 synthetic that is ACEA A3/B3 or better is a great choice. I don't worry as much over brand of oil, but care about the ratings on the bottle in my hand. It is my opinion that oil companies change oil over time, and that alot of the "meets spec X" is a marketing ploy. The SAE standards have changed over the year and the spec changed for them about every two years (SE SF SG SH....).

The 5w 40 gives it good start up protection when cold, and the 40 part gives good protection at normal operating temperature. A 0w would be better for startup, but may be too thin depending on where you live and how cold is cold. As many have said, if you read the manual with your Boxster, 5w 40 is rec for weight.

As I said, brand for me isn't an issue if it meets the spec above. ACEA is a european spec and not all oils submit to it or advertise it. Castrol Syntec 5w 40 was required for my TDI VW (VW 501.0) but in my area it was only available at the VW dealer. Much homework on www.tdiclub.com shows that Rotella T synthetic in the blue bottle and Mobile 1 turbo diesel truck oil both meet the requirements for 501.0 and for me it was a matter of availability. You can get the latter two at any Walmart or local auto parts store. Several years ago the Mobile 1 disapeared of the local shelves for a while then came back in a new design jug. When I find any oil meeting this spec on sale I buy several gallons condidering my Bosxster and Discovery take almost 4 gallons between the two for an oil change. I looked for ONE oil that I could use in all four cars, I also have a SMART and a PT Cruiser the daughter drives. It may be overkill for the PT but buying one oil for everything is easier, especialy if it meets the most stringent requirement for any of them.

My advice to anyone about oil is to first read your owners manual, remember it was printed many years ago and specifications have changed since then. Then do research on the specs, and find source doccuments, not just the website of the manufacturers.

Just my nickels worth.