Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Everyone:

I'm a rather new owner of a 2000 C4 - Millenium and was wondering was the general opinion was on driving this car in the wintertime. I'm planning to use it as a daily driver (more or less) during the non-winter months but would also like to drive it on cold and snowy days here in the Mid-Atlantic? I'm mainly concerned with traction with the current rubber (I've got 18" PZeros all around), ride height, and salt and road grime. Is there anything else?

Any owners out there regularly drive their 911's in the snow during the winter? I actually have seen a few driving around recently (even with their tops down!!) after our big snowstorm but haven't been able to see if they're running snow tires.

Thanks a lot.

I drive my 2003 C4 cab in Minnesota year round. I do swap out 17" wheels and Blizzaks for the winter though. Traction for starting and stopping is great. It's better than my wife's Mazda 3.

Turning is a little difficult because there isn't much weight over the front wheels. Not a problem at all, actually very controllable.

Ground clearance can be an issue if streets get rutted. I haven't damaged anything, but I do scrape from time to time.

I don't think you have a cab, but FFR I don't have a hardtop and have not had any issues with the soft top even at -5 degrees.

I drive my C4S all year in northern Indiana. It's great on snow, as long as it isn't too deep. Anything more than 4 inches on unplowed roads can cause problems. If they have been plowed, it does great, including driving on packed snow.

I put a set of Blizzaks on mine during winter months too. The Pirelli P-Zero tires will be TERRIBLE on snow, to the point that the car isn't drivable. You'll need winter tires, even with AWD.

I drive my 2003 C4 cab in Minnesota year round. I do swap out 17" wheels and Blizzaks for the winter though. Traction for starting and stopping is great. It's better than my wife's Mazda 3.

Turning is a little difficult because there isn't much weight over the front wheels. Not a problem at all, actually very controllable.

Ground clearance can be an issue if streets get rutted. I haven't damaged anything, but I do scrape from time to time.

I don't think you have a cab, but FFR I don't have a hardtop and have not had any issues with the soft top even at -5 degrees.

:welcome:

Zel is right you need snow tires for certain. And 17s are better. Most people recommend two sets of wheels for winter driving so you can keep the snows mounted.

Real enemy is the salt. Not sure how far south you are in the mid-Atlantic, but if you don't have to drive the car every day, I'd say leave it home on snow/salt days and until rain washed the residue away.

A C4 should be a blast in the snow if you have to drive in it. Make sure to check coolant with an hydrometer for appropriate level of freeze protection.

I purchased by 2000 C2 about 3 weeks ago. It's my daily driver, including Chicago's winters. I found another set of OEM 17" wheels with snow tires in great shape on Craigslist for $400. I do a search everyday on CL for "PORSCHE" and there is always someone selling a set of wheels. I went with 17" based on the vast majority's recommendation and to this point, I've had no problems in the snow. Just my .02 from a fellow newbie!!

From what I read, I believe your summer tires will not be effective anywhere below 45 degrees (I believe, again, I'm new ;) ).

Edited by badges2

Hi J3530,

I drive my '05 C4S all winter, except when the snow is really deep, as mentioned by others,more than 6", as you can get high centered on the ruts/mounds.

I have Pirelli SnowSport Winter tires , 225/40 and 265/35 on 18" rims and they have great traction on snow and adequate grip on ice. Just remember to slow down!.

The temp range most of winter is -20 to high 20 low 30s

I have two winters on them and I'm happy so far.

911fan

Hi Everyone:

I'm a rather new owner of a 2000 C4 - Millenium and was wondering was the general opinion was on driving this car in the wintertime. I'm planning to use it as a daily driver (more or less) during the non-winter months but would also like to drive it on cold and snowy days here in the Mid-Atlantic? I'm mainly concerned with traction with the current rubber (I've got 18" PZeros all around), ride height, and salt and road grime. Is there anything else?

Any owners out there regularly drive their 911's in the snow during the winter? I actually have seen a few driving around recently (even with their tops down!!) after our big snowstorm but haven't been able to see if they're running snow tires.

Thanks a lot.