Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gruppe M for NA 996

Hello all.

I now have a Gruppe M intake for my 1999 C-4.

It not only looks cool, but seems very well made, and sturdy, as well.

I am trying to source a new filter.

I think K&N makes a filter for this setup.

Anyone have a part number?

Anyone on this forum have one of these on their car?

Thank you.

Hello,

First, don't all you guys get jealous. This is like a girl; she's real pretty, and when she lets you its so goood it's OK about all the trouble she causes you. Like our Porsches. Well, this intake is like her slutty girlfriend, but you somehow get both. They work together for/on just YOU. It just causes you too much trouble and costs you mucho dinero. OK?

Now here is the deal.

I have seen pictures of the Gruppe M before as it is pretty common on the twin turbo. I've never seen any dyno results but with a turbo and that engine setup on the street it probably does not matter much. I have also seen pictures of one turbo intake cut up to work on a NA 996 or 997, can't remember. But looked cool.

Well, I had a chance to buy a Gruppe M setup for a 996na used, without an element. I have never seen any dyno results for 996na. But it looks so good, like the slutty girlfriend. Don't know how she will perform, but she looks sooooo good, just sittin there costing you $$$.

IT is a trombone like lookin thing that replaces the whole intake with real carbon fibre and boy does it look cool. The craftmanship is unbelieveable very strong, solid and even heavy (for carbon). I do not know if this sounds boastfull, hope not. I hate a bragart.

But here's the best part...its JDM only.

That means its only available in Japan (I had an NSX and learned some of their lingo). Sometimes an NSX guy will travel to Japan and buy stuff and fill orders and ship back and distribute himself. It's a different world.

The big Japonese companies and the wannabes in Japan don't want to do business with the average gearhead, but I think my bank OKed a transfer to Gruppe M last night and the filter element for this thing may be comming from Japan, probably by slow boat from China.

I think that someone in sales at Gruppe M (HOYA -san) is willing to help me with a new element for this thing. If not, I'm gonna fabricate something from a donor from K&N. The filter element looks like an inverted dinner plate. It is about 6"around and and should be replaced and cleaned often.

Just so you all know...I can get about three different K&N elements ( to experiment on) for what this air cleaning element from Gruppe M would cost me. They make all this themself no outsourcing for Gruppe M.

I think there is a BMW connection, and I may go there next for help with this project. Right now I've got to go to work.

Bye.

call K&N. Or measure you OD on the Gruppe M where the filter connects and your height and width and see which one from their list of cone filters will work.

they list the spare filter on their site from K&N

http://www.gruppem.c.../ram/index.html

https://www.gruppem.co.jp/onlinestore_en/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_22&products_id=93

Edited by Wicked 996

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a source where I found some info.

http://www.rpm-arabi...rsche-997-turbo

Paul

Thanks Paul,

They seem to only have the turbo setup.

I will try to contact them again later.

THANKS AGAIN.

Hello,

Thanks for all the interest and pms on this Gruppe M deal.

The replacement air filter arrived Friday, 2days ago, only about a week in transit from the land of the rising sun.

And it fits!!!!!!

I have to reroute a hose and it's a real close fit on the left side of the engine bay. Gruppe M has supplied me with the "kit needed to correctly install this mod on a na 996.

Now if it don't throw a code, or 'fritz' my maf .

K&N was also helpful and I have several emails from a contact at that fine company.

Anyone want the name of a contact at K&N for your special needs project? Let me know.

I was able to source an air filter direct from K&N and a cover thing like a sock, but these have not arrived here from K&N, yet.

The filter fromGruppe M was about $300. from Japan, shipped. The one from K&N is about $50. I do not know if these are the same. But........

Will post pictures soon.

Thanks again.