Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC hack help

Bought boxster S 2000 last year.

Previous owner started doing the OBC hack. He installed the 4 stalk but never did the wiring part. He activated the feature since the temperature is shown in dash.

Ok so I bought all the wires and plug necessary.

Removed the instrument pod., and found a whole bunch of cut wires.

I guess this is where the 999.650.056.40 connector goes. ( btw the part number has changed to 999-650-513-40, hope it is the same)

I see the wires are going towards the stalk but not exactly sure where. Since the 4 stalk has already been installed I didn't start removing the steering wheel and all.

Can anyone identify the wires by their colors? Should there have been a plug at the end of this?

These wire go connected to the white plug shown as per instructions but got no clue where they go...

BTW how do I open up the plug to get my wires to connected?

Any help appreciated

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

Edited by aqus

If you can read a wiring diagram, theres an early version of the whole factory Boxster manual complete with all wiring diagrams floating around the net or on ebay for $5. Pain to figure out but it might be worth irt in the long run.

Regards, PK

Ok Diagram a little too complicated for me. Can anyone who does this mod next take note of where color wires go to plug.

Thanks

Edited by aqus

aqus,

Can you be a little more specific....how many wires are there (it looks like there are at least 6 wires); are they all from the OBC stalk (lower left hand stalk); do you have cruise control (lower right stalk); and what color are the wires? It's difficult to discern the colors with the wires bundled together.

If you do a search for OBC, you'll find a lot of information that might be helpful.

Bill

Can you be a little more specific....how many wires are there (it looks like there are at least 6 wires); are they all from the OBC stalk (lower left hand stalk); do you have cruise control (lower right stalk); and what color are the wires? It's difficult to discern the colors with the wires bundled together.

Ok there are 7 wires.

yes they all come from stalk. They are all bundled together which seems to come from lower left hand side of right side of stalk.

The stalk is the 4 stalk therefore with cruise control. But car originally had 2 stalk and no cruise control.

The colors are 2 yellow, 2 blue, 1 brown with white stripe, one white with brown stripe, 1 blk.(I am guessing here since the dash is all closed up again.

If you are using the VW wires to make the wiring harness, the VW wires are all yellow. See http://www.whiteson....xster/mods/obc/ for the basics, and follow Peter's link at the end for the wire colors. The VW wires needed and the connections changed as of the 2001 model year, so make sure you follow the right set of wiring instructions.

I did follow this link already and does are the wires and plugs I bought, but doesn't say what colors coming from stalk since it just says to connect to plug from stalk.

The only way to really see the wires is to remove lower and upper steering column housing and the steering wheel fascia, but this entails removing the steering wheel and all which I was trying to avoid since the stalk is installed.

Thought these would be standard colors that someone would recognize but I guess not.

Thanks anyways, car will come out of storage in next few weeks, and I am also re-doing the sound system so if I have to remove the steering wheel it will probably be a project postponed to next winter.

The OBC hack with a 4th stalk only needs 4 wires. The wires you have look much larger than #009 VW wires typically used. The fact that you have more than four wires may indicate the addition of cruise control as well. Do you have cruise? In any case, I know of no way to determine which wire plugs in to where, without looking at the harness where it plugs into the stalk. The wires also need to terminate into a pin that gets inserted into your white harness plug that attaches to the back of the instrument cluster. Here is a link with more info: Press Here

Good luck and update your post when finished.