Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2 issues with my 97 boxster

I had my PS pump done at a shop and they messed around with the vacuum lines so after fixing that it ran pretty good, then all of the sudden it start getting a ****ty idle going from 1000-1800, not sure if this is the IAC or something else. I checked all my vacuum lines and they are ok. Any other ideas? Can the IAC be cleaned? How would I go about doing that?

My second issue has bin around for a while, it sounds like a bad pulley bearing, but after looking at it for a while, we found out that it's not. Its coming from the left side, below the airbox, not sure what could be causing this at all, been troubling me and my buddy for a while, just can't seem to figure it out. But we know it's definetely not a pulley on the front of the engine. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

I had my PS pump done ...fixing that it ran pretty good, then all of the sudden it start getting a ****ty idle going from 1000-1800, I checked all my vacuum lines and they are ok. Any other ideas? Can the IAC be cleaned? How would I go about doing that?

Your first idea makes scence and would bemy firs guess though mine have usually been most pronounced at idle...If i recall corectly. How did you check your vacume lines?

My second sounds like a bad pulley bearing, but … we know it's definetely not a pulley on the front of the engine. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

A loose and slipping belt can squeak but that usually goes away when it warms up Lifters to but I think that goes away. Is it a low droan on or a squeak or…. Dose it go away

Regards, PK

I had my PS pump done ...fixing that it ran pretty good, then all of the sudden it start getting a ****ty idle going from 1000-1800, I checked all my vacuum lines and they are ok. Any other ideas? Can the IAC be cleaned? How would I go about doing that?

Your first idea makes scence and would bemy firs guess though mine have usually been most pronounced at idle...If i recall corectly. How did you check your vacume lines?

My second sounds like a bad pulley bearing, but … we know it's definetely not a pulley on the front of the engine. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

A loose and slipping belt can squeak but that usually goes away when it warms up Lifters to but I think that goes away. Is it a low droan on or a squeak or…. Dose it go away

Regards, PK

Hey,I checked my vacuum lines with a vacuum line tester, well my friend did. I think its the iac just not sure how to clean it, or the proper way to take it apart. The squeeking doesn't happen all the time, but when it starts it stays around for a while, doesn't do it if I coast, or touch the gas slightly, but revving it at idle will make it be very noticeable. Its not a belt as it was already changed. How do I go about checking lifters etc? Really want this noise gone. Thanks

I had my PS pump done at a shop and they messed around with the vacuum lines so after fixing that it ran pretty good, then all of the sudden it start getting a ****ty idle going from 1000-1800, not sure if this is the IAC or something else. I checked all my vacuum lines and they are ok. Any other ideas? Can the IAC be cleaned? How would I go about doing that?

97:

Here is a thread with a few approaches to cleaning the IAC: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17313&st=0&p=87257&hl=%20idle%20%20%20control%20%20%20valve&fromsearch=1entry87257

Regards, Maurice.

Hey thanks for the thread very detailed. Now for my second issue, what could cause the squeeking just below the airbox area, puzzling the hell outta me. Its almost like 2 pieces of metal are rubbing together, not a belt or pulley, really need help on this one guys, thanks.

• Moderators

If the noise is only there at cold start, and during a couple of minutes, check the second air pump to be sure, despite the fact that the pump RPM is independent on the engine RPM. Otherwise it should be in the engine (camshaft?) or clutch (release bearing?) hard to say through the internet.

Can you post a sound clip?

Hey, the noise is coming from the left side, and the second air pump is on the right correct? I'm not able to post a sound clip at this time, but I will when I get the chance. Really bothering me, i left it at my parents till the weekend because it's incredibly annoying to drive right now. Anymore ideas? Just so when I go to diagnose it, i'll have somethings to check. Thanks a lot guys.

Any chance this could be an exhaust component rubbing? Or a motor mount? Also my idle was going from 1000-1800, now sometimes it goes from 800-200, this change happened after i took the IAC off and cleaned it, and the throttle body where the iac goes to.

• Moderators

Sticking scavenge pump, camshaft running dry by clogged oil gallery's, incorrect torque of the valve covers, valve covers improper for the actual cylinder heads, etc. A lot of work to find out, unless you know what happened with the engine. Difficult to say without further research.

Sticking scavenge pump, camshaft running dry by clogged oil gallery's, incorrect torque of the valve covers, valve covers improper for the actual cylinder heads, etc. A lot of work to find out, unless you know what happened with the engine. Difficult to say without further research.

Well definetely something I did not want to hear but such as life. What do you suggest my next step is to further the diagnoses?

Hard to tell, allot of ambient noise, what I can hear sounds like a bearing. Are you concerned about that knocking? You might be able to narrow it down with a stethoscope or take to a good indi shop for diagnosis only (they're not always right it's a start).

Regards, PK

Hard to tell, allot of ambient noise, what I can hear sounds like a bearing. Are you concerned about that knocking? You might be able to narrow it down with a stethoscope or take to a good indi shop for diagnosis only (they're not always right it's a start).

Regards, PK

Ya, I asked a shop that I was at, and he said the balancing shaft, does that sound like it could be it? Gonna take it in for a diagnoses in a week, and see what they say. Just want to be better prepared and know what's wrong so I can set aside the money.

I’m not up on all the internals of this particular engine. I do know in general that a motor that makes that kind of sound like that one does is best left alone before it tears itself apart. Get it to a shop (flatbed?), if it’s going to take a big expensive teardown, look at picking up a used motor.

Regards, PK

So something else to add to the diagnoses, I took off the belt to confirm it's not a belt and had the engine run for a few seconds, it's definetely not a pulley. But when it was running and I removed the oil fill cap it idled down and the noise got louder, what do you guys think?

I have a 97' porsche boxster, my vehicle is makeing a squeaky noise sounding like its coming from the two pulleys or alternator. I dont know what side they are on but I think they are comeing from the left side. I orginally thought it was my water pump and had it changed that was costly. It still made the noise after that and my mechanic said that my water pump needed changed anyway there was play in the pulley ALOT OF PLAY he stated. I was going to either replace the two pulleys or the alternator. I already changed the tensioner and belt when I first bought the car, because it was makeing that loud belt squealchy noise when the engine was cold. Now its makeing this squealing noise when the engine is at normal engine temp and only makes the noise during idleing speed. the min I gas it up it goes away. However when im cruising down the street in 4th gear and the engine rpms or down in the 2000 it makes the squealying noise. which is annoying you can barely hear it in the cab but when I open the door its loud and clear and worst when im at a stop light and another car is next to me it echos off of that car and appears to be louder. if I find a solution I will share it with you and if you find a solution please continue to share thank you. I am a little bit smarter now so im not going to rush in and order pulleys or alternator. Im going to have them take the belt off and see if it makes that noise and if it does well they will save me 900 us dollars for changeing out two pulleys and an alternator. thank you very much

So we had it on a hoiste, and it turns out that it's coming from the left side valve cover, what could be making this noise? What would be some good guesses? And how tough is it to fix it?

My brother has a 99 that made similar chirping sounds from the rocker cover. It turned out to be worn chain tensioner guides. They were nearly worn through. If we had not caught this in time... Ka-boom. A loose spark plug will also make a chirping sound like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I found out the problem for my squealing porsche, I listen to this one guy who said take off the belt and see if it squeals. It did not squeal so they replaced my built and the noise stoped. Being that I changed the belt 5000 miles ago, they replaced for free. However I did not get away that easy, I told them I noticed that there was oil sitting on top of my engine. Come to find out, my power steering reserve had hole in it and was leaking on my engine plus I have a small oil leak and they are changeing out 5 of my o ring so for parts and labor it running my a thousand.