Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oil change / service schedule

I've got an '06 C4S and the dealer in New Orleans is closed - they gave the franchise back to Porsche. So I scheduled a major srvc due to age of car - 4yrs(not miles - only 19000) at the next closet dealer 1.5hrs away at the same time we were to be next door picking up a new BMW. The dealer said they would call w/ an estimate before they did anything. I told them specifically not to do the oil change as they were going to chrg 350.00 for that alone and I told them I could get that done for much less or do it myself. Needless to say they did not call w/ an estimate for anything and did the oil change for 350 and on top of that they said the car did not need any of the work the manual suggests for a major as I only had 19,000 miles.

So, is this a little steep for an oil change AND whose right, the manual or the shop re: no major needed? The manual specifically states that certain work is to be done by miles OR time???

Tks for the input - hate to get screwed if something does go wrong.

I used to live in Mandeville, and that sure sounds like Tom Benson behavior :)....The price is ridiculous, but pretty much in line with what some of the dealers charge unfortunately. They may charge up to $10 /qrt (or more) for the synthetic oil....Filter $$$, And over $100/hr labor...Hazardous disposal fees...yadyaydayada.

If I were you, I would start changing it myself. or find a good independent shop...Nothing magical with the oil change. I do it every 6 months or 3000 miles on both 996's, 997, and Cayenne.

As for the maintenance, most of the schedule says to "check" items. As long as they are good, no need to do anything else. If it does say to change them, go with the book!

Good luck...

DC

I would simply refuse to pay for something I specifically requested not to be done.. or negotiate a 50% discount... I dont know how these things happen in the US, but in my country, refusing to pay is in your rights.

Then again, this stealer seems to be well known for such behaviour.. I would never step in his workshop again..

grbeiz - They offered 10% off. But more than likely, they probably did the work knowing that my warranty is almost up and that I would not be traveling 1.5 hours to them anymore... They are now the closest dealer. But, form now on I will use a competent mechanic here in town when necessary.

therock88 - Benson in New Orleans was actually cheaper, 230.00 last time I had it done there. Still steep. Brian Harris in Baton Rouge is the one that charged me 350.00. Anyhow, with no dealer in New Orleans now, they might figure they can charge what they want. Still going to re-check the manual on maintenance schedule. I'm pretty sure it reads that certain work must be done accoriding to either miles or time. If that's the case, I'm just curious why the dealer said that nothing had to be done. Also, here we go again, whose right if something goes wrong down the line, the dealer or the manufacturer? I think I know..... The manufacturer. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Anyone else?

Regarding the 4 years or 20,000 miles.. I would of course change all your filters (engine & Pollen) change your serp belt and flush your brake fluid. If you are even the slightest bit mechanically inclined you can do all of these yourself (except possibly the fluid flush.)

Ther are DIYs on this site. You can do the belt when you change the engine air filter. If you have never done it before it wil take you maybe an hour to an hour and half. The pollen filter takes 5 to 10 minutes. You can buy all the parts you need on line for cheap..

Just keep your reciepts and make a log of the service you did for your records.

If you have the brake fluid changed by your mechanic have him do a once over of the underside of the car, hoses, brakes etc.. All the things to check are on the site under "maitenance schedules"..

You can change your spark plugs too but it may not be necessary.

Hope this helps..

cheers.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the 4 years or 20,000 miles.. I would of course change all your filters (engine & Pollen) change your serp belt and flush your brake fluid. If you are even the slightest bit mechanically inclined you can do all of these yourself (except possibly the fluid flush.)

Ther are DIYs on this site. You can do the belt when you change the engine air filter. If you have never done it before it wil take you maybe an hour to an hour and half. The pollen filter takes 5 to 10 minutes. You can buy all the parts you need on line for cheap..

Just keep your reciepts and make a log of the service you did for your records.

If you have the brake fluid changed by your mechanic have him do a once over of the underside of the car, hoses, brakes etc.. All the things to check are on the site under "maitenance schedules"..

You can change your spark plugs too but it may not be necessary.

Hope this helps..

cheers.gif

Okay, the car is back in the shop b/c they did not do the major the service 1st time and I'm trying to fix a fuel fill problem(different post) and driver's seat issue. They are replacing my seat. Items they said that needed to be done for the srvc are: replace spark plugs, air bag service, top maintenance, rep. tire sealant, new belt and pulley.... Just had recent brake flush and oil chng. No mention of any pollen filter, air filter, etc... Upon questioning the belt & pulley chng, they told me that the belt looked fine, they were just "suggesting" I replace both. I told them to skip that part.