Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1986 Carrera shift issue

GatorGT3

Was driving the other day and when I went to shift into 5th gear, I could not get the gear. Then as I turned around to head home, I had trouble findig any gears. 3 years ago I installed a Wevo 915 gate shift kit which has performed flawlessly. I thought that something my have gone wrong with the kit, so I just completed removing the shift tower and there is nothing wrong with the shifter. However, there is about 2" of up and back play in the shifter tube and when you moveit it feels like it has come loose or something--feels like it is rubbing on threads or something. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks!

One more thing...once a gear is selected, the shifter can move up and down excessively and movement gives feedback as if something is loose. Also makes a clanking noise which sounds like it is in the tube just behind the front seats.

Diagnosed it. The back bushing had completely disingrated. How many shifts does one execute in 140000 miles? No wonder....

Edited by GatorGT3

Hello

check shift rod coupler in the rear middel tunnel section under the 4 bolt Coverplate.

The coupler has a "middlesoft" PTFE (teflon) bushing wich will keep the shift rod to gear Selector longtitutional lose while sidweays action ( twisting) should be without any play.

the coupler sits on the shift rod from the trany and that securing bolt has a 5mm hex, those bolts sometimes come lose and can be replaced by newer versions wich have a nylon lock insert to secure it. However vibration on the rod coupler ist an bad sign and i would check if the forward trany mount rubber carrier are worn down or are so tierd that the trany sits to "deep".

Now the forward section from the coupler sits with a clamp on the shift rod from the gear lever and is also used to adjust the gear shifting. If those clamp come loose we have vibration from the front leverage and the linkage should be checked/rebushed.

But the first step would be to readujust the shift rod on the cpopler thigten the clamp and mark the position with a color dot.

the drive on and the next time something comes lose you can check the adjustment and retighten (just needs the 13mm Spanner from the tool box). if that comes after a short time especially under hard use ( bad roads, race events) then i would start to rebuild the shift rod/linkage and renew the couple or the bushing in the coupler.

Sometimes you can find afternarked coupler bushings wich have no longtitutionalplay or are from hard materiel. Those are for race cars and trade better shift action into more sound in the cabin and also into ratteling noises in the shifter.

An other idear would be to contact wevo if they have a improved coupler and advise on shift linkage improvments.

Grüsse