Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pt# Of Electrical Connectors On Horns?

Not sure exactly what part you need, but looks like you have a 1999 996 C2. I have attached the diagram with all of the horn related parts including the alarm. You should be able to pick the appropriate part from the diagram.

Hope this helps.....

DC

post-7561-12695989876_thumb.gif

Not sure exactly what part you need, but looks like you have a 1999 996 C2. I have attached the diagram with all of the horn related parts including the alarm. You should be able to pick the appropriate part from the diagram.

Hope this helps.....

DC

Thanks for the help "rock" and I hope I am uploading this correct but the part number I need is for the female connector that plugs into the "fanfare" horns #1and 2 on the diagram you posted. The dealer said that it shows on the loom and they order it that way by part #. Thanks again.

Hope this helps.....

DC

Thanks for the help "rock" and I hope I am uploading this correct but the part number I need is for the female connector that plugs into the "fanfare" horns #1and 2 on the diagram you posted. The dealer said that it shows on the loom and they order it that way by part #. Thanks again.

Sounds like that is going to be difficult to find. You mentioned "loom", which I think is the wiring harness...I have attached the passenger wiring harness for the front compartment, as I think that is where the horns are located. Not sure if this is going to help though. May end up trying a salvage yard and splicing?? Good luck.

DC

post-7561-126970858061_thumb.gif

• Admin

Most Porsche dealers/OPC shops have a connector box - this is usually out in the shop. If you talk real nice to one of the techs (or maybe buy him lunch) he can go to that box and get you exactly what you need.

Porsche does not sell many of the connectors - they sell the harness pieces (more profit, fewer parts or problems I guess).

As I recall the connect parts in those boxes are supplied by a separate company that specializes in parts.

Your probably right about the box of connectors. He said he would sell just the connector but I would have to get the number so he could order by that. They said they normally look at a picture of the loom and order off that. I have a couple of manuals and All-Data but none show the wiring loom sections. I'll tell you a stupid story about all this. When I had bought the 99 996 neither horn worked. I got the seller to replace the horn button and it worked.Sounding rather weak but never having heard a 911 horn I drove until told by a Porsche owner that one of my horns was out. Never hearing the correct horn and the sound was real low I decided that the high horn must be the culprit. Both manuals said it could be accessed through the sound hole below bumper by removing plug "which you can't see worth a ****"and removing 4mm nut off stud and pull through hole. You guessed it! I couldn't get the plug off to save my life and finally removed the horn through the hole wire attached. Had to pull plug apart with pliers breaking both sides and the horn.No bigge,the horn was bad any way. Two days later I tried to honk my horn and nothing happened. I had destroyed the wrong horn. Seems the low freq horn is 480hz and the high 540. Not much difference. Today I solved the problem by buying a new set of Italian replacement horns that are almost identical to the OEM but 10 db louder and they have spade connectors. I appreciate the help from this site from this thread and the video on how to remove your front bumper which I will need to do for the horns so much I became a contributer. Thanks for the help. Ride On

Your probably right about the box of connectors. He said he would sell just the connector but I would have to get the number so he could order by that. They said they normally look at a picture of the loom and order off that. I have a couple of manuals and All-Data but none show the wiring loom sections. I'll tell you a stupid story about all this. When I had bought the 99 996 neither horn worked. I got the seller to replace the horn button and it worked.Sounding rather weak but never having heard a 911 horn I drove until told by a Porsche owner that one of my horns was out. Never hearing the correct horn and the sound was real low I decided that the high horn must be the culprit. Both manuals said it could be accessed through the sound hole below bumper by removing plug "which you can't see worth a ****"and removing 4mm nut off stud and pull through hole. You guessed it! I couldn't get the plug off to save my life and finally removed the horn through the hole wire attached. Had to pull plug apart with pliers breaking both sides and the horn.No bigge,the horn was bad any way. Two days later I tried to honk my horn and nothing happened. I had destroyed the wrong horn. Seems the low freq horn is 480hz and the high 540. Not much difference. Today I solved the problem by buying a new set of Italian replacement horns that are almost identical to the OEM but 10 db louder and they have spade connectors. I appreciate the help from this site from this thread and the video on how to remove your front bumper which I will need to do for the horns so much I became a contributer. Thanks for the help. Ride On

Sounds like a great solution! Good luck getting it all put back together so you can "Honk" at the slower drivers :)

DC

Thanks D C . I hope to work on it today, life permitting. I,m not a "mad honker", just would like to have them if needed. I must admit to driving faster than posted though. I just put a K&N cold air intake on my 3.4 naturally aspirated and I can't keep from stepping on it to enjoy the new acceleration and sound from 3800 rpm on up. I guess that's another thread though. Anyway , thanks for the help and hope to chat again. R S

DC-Out of curiosity I looked up your profile. Nice 997. I think you did a great job on your DIY bumper removal. I don't have the patience to document my wok but am glad people like you make life easier for me. I also found a DIY for 996 bumper removal that is very helpful. My only decision now is do I put grille inserts in my bumper while I have it off. I like your idea as the Performance catalog wants 265 ducats for them. I think I will see how much trash is in there and then decide. It does look nice on yours and mine is Artic Silver like your wife's. My plastic insert is painted black as it looks like you also repainted it when you sprayed the grill. Time to start doing something, RS

DC-Out of curiosity I looked up your profile. Nice 997. I think you did a great job on your DIY bumper removal. I don't have the patience to document my wok but am glad people like you make life easier for me. I also found a DIY for 996 bumper removal that is very helpful. My only decision now is do I put grille inserts in my bumper while I have it off. I like your idea as the Performance catalog wants 265 ducats for them. I think I will see how much trash is in there and then decide. It does look nice on yours and mine is Artic Silver like your wife's. My plastic insert is painted black as it looks like you also repainted it when you sprayed the grill. Time to start doing something, RS

Thanks...Yeah...Go for it. If you need the grill material you can get stainless aluminum or black on eBay at this store Click Here...Probably stainless on your silver car would look nice. It is not that difficult once you get into it. On my wife's, I got it all fastened, then

taped it all off and sprayed it with Arctic Silver to match and then heavy clear coat to help with chipping. Also painted the plastic trim to match as well. I like the look, but to each his own...

The 996 bumpers come off a lot easier than the 997 and 997 TT. You will likely find a bunch of junk on your radiators...Be sure to separate them too (they are doubled up) and clean between them...There are only about 2 extra screws to do so.

Good luck with it, and post a picture if you end up doing it. Best part is, I do not think I will have to do it for a loooong time as the grills should keep all the leaves etc out. I think the look better too...More finished than those big holes with

radiator fins showing :)

DC

Edited by therock88

Taking the bumper cover off and on was a piece of cake thanks to the video and DC's writeup. One problem though. The horns from Italy sound like a Vespa instead of a Ferrari. I lit them up before putting them in and didn't think they sounded too bad but once everything was back together they don't sound like a real good attention getter in an emergency. My wife says they sound like they belong on a toy. I guess I'll have to go shopping again. The other reason to take the bumper cover back off is to put screen in as you guys suggest. I can see why. Mine were probably 25% covered in leaves, cigarette butts, cotton, dead bees and assorted debris. One thing I found a lot of that I'm not sure if the screens will help was sand. All through the core, high and low. The first owner lived in Palos Verdes,Ca. and I wonder if they took it on the beach? The underbody is in excellent shape though and I see no evidence of salt water. Anybody else find sand? There was enough to impede air flow somewhat. Anyway, I'll call today a learning experience since I didn't break anything and it wasn't that hard except my back is killing me. I'll pick up some new horns and screen and do it again. Maybe I'll take a picture when I'm finished but is there such a thing as ever being finished? That third radiator sounds like a good idea here in the valley. Thanks folks, Robert.