Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

This has to be a first.. and something that I am taking endless ribbing on. :) I'm wordering if anyone else may have heard of this.

Yesterday morning I waxed my 2005 C2S in the driveway.

Right after finishing I wanted to drive to lunch. Got in the car and fired it up, and all of a sudden there were dashboard warning bells going off, the exclamation symbol lit, and I received the dreaded "System Fault visit Workshop" error on the dash.

After a detailed conversation with the service manager about the issue, it was actually he that asked me if I had just waxed the car by chance.

When I said yes, he siad he was 99% sure that a static discharge had blown a computer located behind the front bumper along with 2 associated relays.

He said he had seen it a few times previously.

The dealer went ahead and ordered the parts so that he can get me going as soon as possible (warranty) I have an appointment for next Wednesday

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Seems too funny to be true.

Thanks

Happened to my 2005 CS2 just over 3 years ago.

Just after I bought it I detailed the entire car. Next thing I knew I got the same message you got. Dealer just replaced an ECU right behind the front bumper cover. No relays were burned. Simple job and it was covered under my warranty.

I suspect they'll fix it even if it's out of warranty since it is a 'known' problem on the early build 997's.

Here's some data from the 997 expert in the PCA (Porsche Club of America) a few years back. I think its perfectly safe to drive but if the actuator (electrical soleniod) is energized 100% of the time it might drain the battery in time.

Your question posted on PCA.org has been answered:

Classification: Electrical

Subject: System Fault - Trunk Servo Follow Up

Model:

Year: 2005

Total Mileage:

Car Use: Street Only

Question:

Pete: I thought I'd provide some additional info regarding my original question. Brought the car into Pacific Porsche in Torrance, CA since it's still under warranty. They diagnosed the problem to a faulty 'Trunk Entrapment Actuator'. According to their tech the 'Front Control Unit' and software were fine. It's located behind the front bumper so it took them a while to perform the job. In the process they called me and claimed I had a canceled radar detector mounted adjancent to the actuator and that PCN A most likely wouldn't pay for the repair. Turned out to be the 'Home Link' transmitter. I guess in early 997's it was mounted differently and their tech had never seen one before. My car is #337. Anyways all is well now. Both the 'System Fault' and actuator humming are gone. Thanks!

Answer:

There is a tech bulletin for the fault "8043 Front Lugg. Compt. Latch. Hook" and earlier on people were replaceing the latch which was not the problem. I spent 2 days with a Porsche engineer to look at this fault and we concluded that the software in the front end control unit was too sensitive for the readings of the servo. This bulletin is to replace the front end control unit for the servo fault for every 2005 997 that comes in for this. If the control unit was not replaced, that fault might come back.

Bulletin 9449, dated 10/24/05

Warning Visit Workshop" In Instrument Cluster -

Code 8043 Stored in Front End Control Module

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 5/25/2007

I had a humming sound coming from the bumper/hood area. I suspect it was the hood closure acuator not shutting off (It might have been thinking the hood was open).

. . . Dealer just replaced an ECU right behind the front bumper cover. No relays were burned. Simple job and it was covered under my warranty.

I suspect they'll fix it even if it's out of warranty since it is a 'known' problem on the early build 997's.

When was the ECU moved to the luggage compartment? Mine's a late '04 build 997 C2S, and that's where it is. . . I think. Is it the finned thingie behind the carpeted cover?

. . . Dealer just replaced an ECU right behind the front bumper cover. No relays were burned. Simple job and it was covered under my warranty.

When was the ECU moved to the luggage compartment? Mine's a late '04 build 997 C2S, and that's where it is. . . I think. Is it the finned thingie behind the carpeted cover?

I believe the 'finned thingie' as you called it is the Bose Amp.

There are ECU's located in various spots depending on what function they control or monitor. For instance the main motor ECU is in cabin (under the rear seat).

I believe the 'finned thingie' as you called it is the Bose Amp.

There are ECU's located in various spots depending on what function they control or monitor. For instance the main motor ECU is in cabin (under the rear seat).

Please forgive my total ignorance of all things electronic. I've yet to have any fault codes displayed recently, but thankfully the ECU isn't wired to my brain. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Edited by 355bhp

Really bizarre!

I think something similar happened to me about two weeks ago in my 2005 Carrera S.

I washed and was thoroughly waxing the car during the weekend. I spent some extra time on the front bumper, given it's level of abuse on the road.

At the end of the day, I had the same fault warning pop up.

As a result, I bought a Durametric cable. Codes that appeared included:

8042 (front luggage compartment unlocking implausible signal),

8043 (front luggage compartment latch hook upper limit value exceeded),

8007 (gateway incorrect coding implausible signal),

8005 (terminal S value below lower limit value),

C127 (communication front control unit upper value limit exceeded).

I was able to clear all of the fault codes that came up and have seen no more fault light.

I'd swear I heard a "click" noise while I was waxing the frong bumper with a microfiber cloth. Thought it must have been my imagination. When I heard the click, my instinct was that an airbag was going to deploy (I know they have speed sensors and the ignition key was in my pocket).

When I refuel my airplane, I hook up a static ground. Maybe I need to do the same for my Porsche?!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd swear I heard a "click" noise while I was waxing the frong bumper with a microfiber cloth. Thought it must have been my imagination. When I heard the click, my instinct was that an airbag was going to deploy (I know they have speed sensors and the ignition key was in my pocket).

When I refuel my airplane, I hook up a static ground. Maybe I need to do the same for my Porsche?!

I had the same exact thing happen to my 997 today. I was polishing bugs off the headlamp with some plastX, and heard a "pop" noise from the trunk release area but no open trunk. Uh-oh... I had read this thread last week, so I immediately knew what happened. Started the car and got the "workshop" error with awesome lightning bolt graphic, and the parking lights and dashboard lights lit up despite the switch in the OFF position. No other issues, drove to the dealer and we'll see what happens. sad.gif

Mark

New Country Greenwich by chance?

Tell the Service Manager I sent you. smile.gif

Close! Danbury Porsche. Been to New Country though. Let's see if they can recognize a known problem and fix it without any fuss. The skeptic in me isn't confident. dry.gif

The service manager at New Country was totally on top of this.

He even asked me if I happened to be waxing the car.

I got my previous car (Boxster) from Chip Hall of Danbury Porsche.

No experience with their service dept.

Heard from the dealer... they identified the problem immediately, so I'd guess they see a few of these. Not covered under my CPO, but they're giving me a deal on the labor. I guess that's the last time I go polishing my headlamps without a ground!

Hmmmm

Not sure that sounds right.

Possibly New Country did the job at no charge because I had only purchased it recently.... but I did see that on the receipt they wrote recall.

(Still waiting for my copy in the mail)

Hmmmm

Possibly New Country did the job at no charge because I had only purchased it recently.... but I did see that on the receipt they wrote recall.

Interesting... there's a TSB but no recall according to Danbury. The part was relatively cheap for P-car, $65.00.

If you get a recall notice please PM me.

I would expect Porsche North America would pick up the cost. It's a well documented problem.

I'd have your dealer ask 'Regional PCNA Tech Support' to provide the part at no charge.

It's simply a matter of 'goodwill'.

Hmmmm

Interesting... there's a TSB but no recall according to Danbury. The part was relatively cheap for P-car, $65.00.

If you get a recall notice please PM me.

I would expect Porsche North America would pick up the cost. It's a well documented problem.

I'd have your dealer ask 'Regional PCNA Tech Support' to provide the part at no charge.

It's simply a matter of 'goodwill'.

Agreed, tried that angle. According to them, PCNA will do nothing for me since I'm not the original owner. To be fair, they gave me about 30% off the cost as a goodwill gesture though.

I just called to verify.

No recall, but they covered it under CPO.

If you bought your car recently it may have the revised CPO, which the dealer informed me does cover the part. Sadly, my CPO does not.

Thanks all for the suggestions, but I'll take my lumps on this one. Now, if a part behind the rear wheels goes "pop" I'll expect PCNA to cover that without complaint. :)