Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How To Remove Fuel Pump?

Hi all-

I enjoyed a nice drive 2 weeks ago but now the car just won't start. It will crank just fine. When I turn the key on, there are different clicks coming from both the front and back of the car as normal, but it never fires. I do not smell gasoline from the tailpipe, so I assume it's a fuel pump/hose issue. The fuses are all fine. I took the battery out and removed the wires, hoses and black retaining ring from the top of the fuel sender unit. I can pull it up about 4 inches, but then it won't come out any farther. The hoses appear okay, but I can't see them all. So, what is the trick to getting this all the way out? I'd like to inspect the hoses before buying a new pump. Or let me know if you have any other suggestions for my starting problems. thanks so much in advance. -Mike

2000 Carrera 2, 6 spd, US version, 36k miles

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all-

I enjoyed a nice drive 2 weeks ago but now the car just won't start. It will crank just fine. When I turn the key on, there are different clicks coming from both the front and back of the car as normal, but it never fires. I do not smell gasoline from the tailpipe, so I assume it's a fuel pump/hose issue. The fuses are all fine. I took the battery out and removed the wires, hoses and black retaining ring from the top of the fuel sender unit. I can pull it up about 4 inches, but then it won't come out any farther. The hoses appear okay, but I can't see them all. So, what is the trick to getting this all the way out? I'd like to inspect the hoses before buying a new pump. Or let me know if you have any other suggestions for my starting problems. thanks so much in advance. -Mike

2000 Carrera 2, 6 spd, US version, 36k miles

i have the same exact problem. i am replacing the fuel pump today. i will let you know if the new one fixes the problem.

• Admin

Before you go to the trouble of replacing the fuel pump - check the fuel pressure and the delivered volume.

Nominal test pressure values:

Stationary engine: 3.8 +- 0.2 bar

Engine idling: 3.3 +- 0.2 bar

fuel delivered volume:

Quantity supplied must be at least 850 cm3/30 sec

i.e. after 30 seconds at least 850 cm3 fuel must be present in the measuring container.

Before you go to the trouble of replacing the fuel pump - check the fuel pressure and the delivered volume.

fuel delivered volume:

i.e. after 30 seconds at least 850 cm3 fuel must be present in the measuring container.

Would this tool work to establish fuel pressure / delivery qty.?

http://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Pressure-KAL2530-Kal-Equip/dp/B00063V2VC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1272052886&sr=1-4

JP

• Moderators

fuel delivered volume:

Would this tool work to establish fuel pressure / delivery qty.?

http://www.amazon.co...72052886&sr=1-4

JP

If it comes with the correct adaptors, otherwise no.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my DIY article on removing and installing a new pump (It's nearly the same as the Boxster): http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump.htm

Using the instructions in the article, you can "jumper" the pump and test it. Chances are if it's flowing, it's probably good. These seem to fail outright - they don't really fail with low pressure problems...

Hope this helps,

-Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Before you remove and replace the fuel pump, you might want to investigate the serviceability of the crankshaft position sensor. Recently, there have been a couple of Boxsters I know of that have had the same symptoms. The fix was to replace the sensor. Apparently, a bad crankshaft position sensor will preclude the fuel pump from powering up....leading to misdiagnosing the failure to start problem.

Bill

• Moderators

Before you remove and replace the fuel pump, you might want to investigate the serviceability of the crankshaft position sensor. Recently, there have been a couple of Boxsters I know of that have had the same symptoms. The fix was to replace the sensor. Apparently, a bad crankshaft position sensor will preclude the fuel pump from powering up....leading to misdiagnosing the failure to start problem.

Bill

Which would throw a code......................

• 3 weeks later...

Too late. I just got the pump out (after hand pumping a full tank out and into my truck). The pump and hoses look okay to me. But since I don't have a code, I'm assuming my problem is fuel supply related. I guess I'll just install a new pump and see what happens. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I ordered the following parts...

Fuel Pump

VDO Fuel Pump 911 VDO Price: $215.95 Qty: 1.00 Part #: W0133-1599720

Fuel Sending Unit Gasket

OES Genuine Fuel Sending Unit Gasket 911 OES Genuine Price: $8.95 Qty: 1.00 Part #: W0133-1646700

Fuel Filter Mahle Fuel Filter 911 Mahle Price: $37.95 Qty: 1.00 Part #: W0133-1624873

...and so far have dropped in the new fuel pump. I crossed my fingers and turned the key. It started right up after a few cranks! :thumbup:

Side note: This problem started right after I dumped a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank. It's probably just a coincidence, but you have to wonder if that did something to clog up the filter which would put additional strain on the old pump. Either way, I'm going to replace the filter before I drive it. After getting the car up on ramps and seeing the underside of the car for the first time, this looks like it's going to suck. However, I am constantly marveled by the engineering of these cars. And it's nice to work on something for once that you don't have to upgrade every single part- unlike American cars. "Stock" must not be a bad word in Bavaria, eh?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, just finished this project up... not too bad. About 2 hours total including the fuel filter replacement. I had a little under a half a tank of gas so I just used gloves to remove the pump. Everything was pretty straight forward, and I did this out in my driveway to keep the fuel fumes from being an issue. :)