Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need help removing interior panel

Yesterday I installed my tow system but ran into a problem. The hitch itself was not too hard to install although it is time consuming. But I ran into a problem installing the wiring harness and controller inside the side compartment of the cargo bay.

The wiring harness enters the side compartment through a grommeted hole below the tail light. The harness is supposed to be routed up to a spot forward of the CD changer. There is a spot reserved for the tow system controller at this location. In order to access this area the side panel of the cargo compartment must be removed.

My problem is I can't figure out how to remove the side panel. Can anyone help me out?

To be clear, this is the interior panel on the passenger side of the cargo bay where the CD changer, first aid kit and emergency triangle live. This is not urgent as I do not plan to tow a trailer anytime soon. But it would be nice to complete the installation correctly.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

You don't need to remove that panel, its entirely possible to do without removing that trim panel. Believe me, removing that panel is a pain in the ***. The trick to the whole thing is to take out the small t25 screws at the bottom of the side panel and lift the whole piece up and over the hump where the D ring screws into. This is assuming you have the D pillar trim off. Then put the supplied speednut for the 8mm bolt onto the plastic tab which holds the other control units (rear convenience and the tilt sensor). Put the TOWBAR control unit in with the connectors facing towards the middle of the car and make sure you get the tabs on the bottom inserted properly and screw in the 8mm bolt. Plug in the red connector coming from the car (might be covered with foam)on the bottom and the black connector coming from the hitch on top.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by PTEC