Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Questions On Details Of Rts Bike Racks

I've got a few leftover detailed questions after searching everything I could on forums etc. I have the factory RTS on my 996 coupe. I'm looking to get some bike bars now but....

1 - there are 2 models listed on porsche/dealer sites. One is described as the 'racing bicycle carrier' and the other just 'bike carrier'. The former says 'not for bikes with suspension' in some places, and is pictured with a bike with the front tire removed. Some sites (suncoast) also descibe it as 'thule.' What is the deal here? If I lock the front suspension/fork on my mountain bike, will it work fine? Or are there other issues - wheel width etc - that make it no good for mountain bikes? Is it really made by thule?

2 - I read on one post that the biggest advantage of the OEM porsche bike rack(s) is the fit to the RTS crossmembers - sliding into place instead of bolting on. This sounds nice. Is it true for both of the racks above?

3 - I also have an RTS (or whatever it is called) on my mercedes E55. The bars look to be the same diameter etc as those on the porsche. I'm hoping the porsche bike rack(s) will fit both cars. Does anyone know if this is true? Are there any standards to the bar diameters??

Thanks in advance -

I've got the RTS for my 996 and the standard (not racing bike) carriers (though I've never used them). I cant think of why the racing bike carrier would'nt work with a mountain bike (as you mentioned, perhaps width?). I do believe the Porsche racks (at least the accessories) were made by Thule. Yes, my bike & ski racks fit into the groove in the cross members, though I dont see this as a big advantage, in fact it's a bit of a pain to slide them in, and get them centered & tightened. Also the rubber strips need to be removed from the bars. I found that the rack whisled at hight speeds with these removed. I bought a regular Thule kyak accessory for my rowing shell, (yes, it did draw a bit of attention, but it worked well) it fastened easily & securely using c-type clamps, and the rubber stips can be left in. Aditionaly, the regular/standard accessories can be used on most other roof racks, the custom Porsche ones require bars with the same slot size & set-up.

that's awesome.. that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Extremely helpful. I didn't realize those accessories slid into those slots. That's not so great. I have 'the same' bars on my mercedes, and that kit (secondhand on craigslist) didn't come with the strips, and it howls like a banshee at 70mph. I imagine one could cut the strips and reinsert them around any accessory, but... why bother.

So what I'm learning is

a) YES... I could buy the porsche pieces and they would fit the mercedes bars, as I can confirm the slot you mentioned is in those bars as well. They likely would NOT fit any other bars, though...

B) the 'advantage' of the native fit isn't too advantageous

I think I'm going to buy a couple thule or yakima racks locally now. Plus... I'll know that they don't have any bizarre incompatibility with mountain bikes...

btw - your 996 with a rowing shell on top had to be the coolest thing in the world.