Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag Light Will Not Reset - 2000 Boxster

I have a 2000 Boxster with the airbag light illuminated. I have reset the fault code but the light stays off only momentarily. It appears that there may be a control unit issue. Is it likely to be a control unit issue and is it possible for me to replace it easily?

I have a 2000 Boxster with the airbag light illuminated. I have reset the fault code but the light stays off only momentarily. It appears that there may be a control unit issue. Is it likely to be a control unit issue and is it possible for me to replace it easily?

The code will certainly help narrow it down.

If your code is "Ignition Circuit Driver" (code 21 IIRC) it will exhibit the exact symptoms that you are describing (i.e., the light goes off when you reset it, but goes back on a few seconds later). That fault can sometimes be resolved by repairing or replacing the "clockspring assembly" (ring under the steering wheel).

Regards, Maurice.

The code will certainly help narrow it down.

If your code is "Ignition Circuit Driver" (code 21 IIRC) it will exhibit the exact symptoms that you are describing (i.e., the light goes off when you reset it, but goes back on a few seconds later). That fault can sometimes be resolved by repairing or replacing the "clockspring assembly" (ring under the steering wheel).

Regards, Maurice.

Yes the error code is 21.

You have to remove the steering wheel to test the clockspring assembly for continuity or to replace it.

Here is a part of some of the instructions which were written up for the installation of a 4 stalk control. You can use the pertinent parts for the steering wheel removal:

"Disconnect battery to car. Remove airbag cover using long (at Least 50mm) 30 torx socket from rear of air bag.

Pull connector off of air bag and set air bag down in an area away from where you are working, with the cover of the airbag

facing up.

Remove steering wheel using 24 mm socket, scribe mark on steering shaft and wheel to line up during assembly.

Remove horn wires and slide steering wheel off. Remove 2 small Phillips screws on side of black turn signal switch housing

Remove four screws on front of turn signal switch, loosen 8 mm bolt on bottom of turnsignal switch thru slot of black

Housing.

Separate black housing and remove 2 screws holding on Airbag spiral spring. ( be careful not to spin spiral housing or

Steering wheel or you will damage spiral spring)."

Let us know how you progress.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have a simliar problem, except my light only comes on every so often and only on start up. I can clear it with the Durametric and it wont come back again while driving. It was happening once every couple of months but is now a bit more frequent (every couple of weeks).

It's the same code (21) but given the intermittent nature, and only on start up, is my problem likely to be the clockspring assembly, or should I start somewhere else? (BTW, it's an '02 Boxster S).

TIA

-Scott

• Admin

Fault codes 4, 5, 20, 21, 36 -- Ignition circuit, driver

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in the wiring between the driver's airbag unit and the airbag triggering unit

- Driver's airbag unit faulty

- Triggering unit for airbag faulty

Note: If the fault memory is cleared, the ignition must be switched off, the ignition key removed and the ignition switched on again in order to check the fault path. Only in this way is another self-test carried out.

• Upvote 1

Hi Loren,

Thanks very much for the reply. Over the last week or two, most times I reset the light I stop and start the car (remove key, etc) at least 4 or 5 times, sometimes more. It only seems to come back if I let it sit for a while then start it, and even then not each time. The frequency is totally random, but the one constant is it only occurs on start up.

Do you know where I can get very specific, step-by-step instructions on testing the areas you listed (pin numbers, plug locations, resistance values, etc)?

I know this is a big ask, but I really would like to get this fixed before I sell the car (have a potential buyer) and don't have much time to spend fault finding due to moving overseas on orders in less than 4 weeks.

-Scott

• 3 years later...