Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

M220 Lsd Spec And Alternative Options?

really want to put an LSD into my car as the final mod. i really feel i need one since i track quite a bit now but im stumped over the options available to me.

the obvious solution is putting the optional M220 diff into the car however it seems somewhat lightweight (22/40%) and i cant find any specs ref the friction plates and whether there are motorsport alternatives available to put into this to change its ratios.

while i go over things i'm left with some questions:

does anyone know anything ref the diff that comes with the M220 and can you get it built with motorsport type plates to get it set to something that would be more useable (40/60%). is it essentially just a softened version of the same diff porshce use on all their cars?

will the LSD from the GT3 boxes fit in to the regular C2 box?

anyone fitted an LSD with good results. what options are there. im not sure Guard offer one for the C2 box and Quaife is an ATB type diff rather than the clutch type. im not sure how i feel about using an ATB in a car i do intend to track atleast once a month.

if anyone has anything to share that would be great.

Edited by thewightstuff

really want to put an LSD into my car as the final mod. i really feel i need one since i track quite a bit now but im stumped over the options available to me.

the obvious solution is putting the optional M220 diff into the car however it seems somewhat lightweight (22/40%) and i cant find any specs ref the friction plates and whether there are motorsport alternatives available to put into this to change its ratios.

while i go over things i'm left with some questions:

does anyone know anything ref the diff that comes with the M220 and can you get it built with motorsport type plates to get it set to something that would be more useable (40/60%). is it essentially just a softened version of the same diff porshce use on all their cars?

will the LSD from the GT3 boxes fit in to the regular C2 box?

anyone fitted an LSD with good results. what options are there. im not sure Guard offer one for the C2 box and Quaife is an ATB type diff rather than the clutch type. im not sure how i feel about using an ATB in a car i do intend to track atleast once a month.

if anyone has anything to share that would be great.

i have done some research on the subject and have the same feelings about the quaife POS. guard transmission does makes two options for the C2 but both are pricey.

my current info is that the GT3 LSDs will fit into the C2 box fine. this would put the cup diff at the top of my list though with the extra preload i wonder if it may be overkill somewhat. going with the GT3 option knowing that i can get it built with motorsport plates may be a better process. i'll post back as i get some definites through.

ATB type diffs can be great, my feeling is however less so in our rear engined RWD configuration. they dont work under braking and this is when the weight is lifted from our wheels. with FWD braking puts the weight over the driven wheels which should make slipping less likely and thus reduce the need for a diff under this state.

since im going to track alot i really need a solution that will work here aswell as on the road when required and this is making me favour plate types.

guard make great units so this might also be an option thats for sure. no option seems like it is going to be cheap however. ive got my box out doing some other work anyways so atleast i save on labour more or less.

i'll post more as i get some definates on this however

Edited by thewightstuff