Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tip Tonic Fluid Color

Loren: First of all I am sorry to hear the news of your loss in your family. Please accept my condolence.

I have a 2002 Boxster. The tiptronic transmission was rebuilt. After driving it for only 66 miles, the tiptronic decided on its own to downshift from 5th to 4th and the speed went down from 70 mph to 50 mph. I pulled over to the road side (HWY 580 East, by Livermore, Ca.) and waited for 5 minutes and decided to get back on the road. When I went up to 60 mph, a high pitch whining noise, followed by a boom noise and black smoke trail appeared. Immediately, I pulled over to the side and saw a whole lot of fluid gushing out. I had the car towed to a nearby garage/shop and had it hoisted. The mechanic took off the cover and found that the differential (?) on the right side (looking from the back side) had a hole/crack. That was the boom I heard. The fluid color was like light barley color. I thought that the tiptronic fluid per Porsche spec, is supposed to be light pink (fresh/new) and over the time, the color changed to darker. Can someone please tell me if wrong type of tiptronic fluid was used or the differential is totally separate from the tiptronic and has its own fluid? Also, the transmission was re-built by Porsche dealer authorized shop in Feb. 2009. The car sat (was not driven, including firing up the engine) since then till April 16, 2010 when I went to bring it back. The transmission shop only used a kit, containing seals and clutches, to re-build the transmission, and no bearing(s). Many thanks in advance.

Edited by wams

• Admin

Thank you and sorry to hear about your new transmission.

Tipronic gets a light weight ATF fluid ( a redish pink in color).

The final drive (differential) in the Tiptronic cars gets 75W-90 gear oil in the final drive (the same as manual transmissions) and looks amber in color.

How long ago was the Tiptronic rebuilt? Did they forget to refill the differential?

Thank you and sorry to hear about your new transmission.

Tipronic gets a light weight ATF fluid ( a redish pink in color).

The final drive (differential) in the Tiptronic cars gets 75W-90 gear oil in the final drive (the same as manual transmissions) and looks amber in color.

How long ago was the Tiptronic rebuilt? Did they forget to refill the differential?

Hi Loren,

Thanks for your reply. If you will recall that about a year or so ago I posted a blog in Renntech.org on my Boxster and Sonnen Porsche ... how they tried to put my car on lien sale, etc.? Well, the Enforcing Division from Bureau of Automotive Repairs – Ca. (BAR) took my case and contacted Sonnen Porsche and made this happen at $ Zero cost to me… Sonnen Porsche cost on unauthorized repair amounted to $7780, including re-painting part of the car. The record clearly showed that I only requested the initial diagnostic (at a cost of $180) and did not authorize Sonnen Porsche to perform further work. During the time when Sonnen Porsche tried to put the car on lien sale, they had the car transmission rebuilt at a local transmission shop in Feb. 2009 and was given a warranty for 6 months or 6000 miles. Unfortunately, Sonnen Porsche agreed to release the car back to me in March 2010, which was way past the 6 months warranty period, regardless of the 71 miles (or so) that I drove the car before it blew.

The final drive (differential) in the Tiptronic cars gets 75W-90 gear oil ... how much quantity wise would this fluid be? From the blow out and what was on the road side, it would not have amounted to a quart. And I am not sure what they really did, except for using a kit to replace the seals and gears. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

0.9 liters as I recall.

Hi Loren: Some more questions on the tiptronic ...

1.) How many different transmission oil type is used to fill (chamber to chamber) in the Boxster TIP?

2.) Or, is it just one oil type (like ESSO, faint pink in color), that covers the chamber containing the gears and also the differential?

3.) Does the gear section have different oil than differential?

4.) What quantity (amount in oz. or litre) of tranny oil used in the Boxster TIP? What quantity is for the gear chamber and what quantity is for the differential.

5.) Where can I get the schematic (like CAD drawing) on the TIP?

Thanks.

• Admin

0.9 liters as I recall.

1.) How many different transmission oil type is used to fill (chamber to chamber) in the Boxster TIP?

2.) Or, is it just one oil type (like ESSO, faint pink in color), that covers the chamber containing the gears and also the differential?

4.) What quantity (amount in oz. or litre) of tranny oil used in the Boxster TIP? What quantity is for the gear chamber and what quantity is for the differential.

Thanks.

1. and 2. and 3. Two - ATF for transmission portion and Gear Oil for the differential section.

See also DIY Tiptronic Transmission Service

4. Transmission (ATF): Filling capacity = 9.5 liters; Change capacity = 4.0 liters

Differential (75W-90 gear oil): 0.9 liters

post-1-127220487325_thumb.png

0.9 liters as I recall.

Thanks.

1. and 2. and 3. Two - ATF for transmission portion and Gear Oil for the differential section.

See also DIY Tiptronic Transmission Service

4. Transmission (ATF): Filling capacity = 9.5 liters; Change capacity = 4.0 liters

Differential (75W-90 gear oil): 0.9 liters

post-1-127220487325_thumb.png

Loren ... THANKS.

I am having a hard time to find a used TIP for the car at a reasonable $ price. Here is a dumb question: Since the cylindrical bearings from the differential popped out (with the case blowing a hole) and only a quart or 2 of the light amber colored fluid spilled, is there any possibility to salvage the TIP, ONLY by replacing the segment containing the differential? I am not knowledgable on how the TIP case is put together!! Thanks.

• 1 year later...

That could likely be done if you can find one in salvage yard car.

Hi Loren: I am finally at a point, almost after 16 months, ready to get my baby back on the road. I found a used TIP with only 35K miles. I paid $2250. It is to arrive tomorrow and I was told that the TIP is in excellent condition. I guess I will find that out after it arrives. The TIP (A86.05) is for 2.7 L - 2002 yr. This TIP is shipped without any oil inside it. Now, I definitely need your help to get the oil, etc. Please let me know what (how many types), which (brand), how much (quantity wise), etc. of oil I need to re-fill the TIP? I will appreciate if you will itemize the items (oil, filter, etc.) . I am excited and can't wait to get back on the road. :drive: Thanks.

as Loren mentioned on earlier post the quantity is 9.5 liters if transmission is empty.

type : ESSO LT 71141 ( my experience is goldish in color )

how many types you can use with ZF transmission : jury still out and for a long time

Porsche Dealer : $18/liter last time I paid

and you have to take your own container or they sell fluid in a 20 liter container.

VW dealer : part # G052162A2 (sold in quarts) $16-$19

differtnial fluid : manual suggest oil type: Hypoid transmisson oil, Burmah-Oil, SAF-AG 4/1016

fill capacity: approx. 0.8 Liter (check for TSB might have been change to 0.9 Liter as Loren mentioned)

can't remember what I paid (Dealer) for it but somewhere around $30 (I hope I'm mistaken)

if you changing the filter (recommended) as well with the gasket around $35-$45

hope all goes well, I'm interested in what you're going to do with the old one, PM if you will

• Upvote 1