Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Vs. 987 For Autox Competition

I am thinking of getting a 986S with the 3.2 engine or an early 987S. I am an autox junkie, and think either one would be a great local SCCA BSP class car until we finally convince the SCCA to accept them into STR. Anyway, I know the early 987's make some great Hp, but I would guess the weight is up on the 987. Does anyone have any real world (not factory propoganda) corner weight type data on the 986 vs. 987?

I am thinking of getting a 986S with the 3.2 engine or an early 987S. I am an autox junkie, and think either one would be a great local SCCA BSP class car until we finally convince the SCCA to accept them into STR. Anyway, I know the early 987's make some great Hp, but I would guess the weight is up on the 987. Does anyone have any real world (not factory propoganda) corner weight type data on the 986 vs. 987?

You're building a BSP car - which is quite awesome.

In your case, the best BSP car would be the most stripped out car you can find - most likely a '97-99 Boxster, and installing an M97 powerplant in it. (The beneficial thing here is that ALL Boxsters and Caymans are on the same line, so any engine that ever landed in a Boxster is up for grabs.)

There are some technical hurdles there, but with enough time and effort there's no reason it couldn't be done.

Springs are unlimited as long as you maintain the stock configuration, and since Boxsters are coil sprung from the factory you can install adjustable height coil-overs and modify the corner weight as you see fit.

Also, exhaust is unlimited, so toss the cats, put on a big set of headers, open exhaust, a custom intake and tune, and you could be looking at ~350 hp and 2600-2700 lbs wet. (Don't forget, seats are unlimited in BSP too, as are wheels :) )

If I had the cash and wasn't already actively competing in SS, I'd heavily consider such a project...