Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hid Back To Oem Headlight

I bought my 2003 986 S with a Vertex HID kit. The right headlight started to go out when I came to a stop and required me to turn the headlights off and on and fixed the problem. Now the right headlight won't turn on. It tries to fire but stays off. What's the simplest fix? I want to remove the kit and replace with OEM bulbs. How hard is that to to? I am looking for reliability instead of the HID look.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2003 986 S with a Vertex HID kit. The right headlight started to go out when I came to a stop and required me to turn the headlights off and on and fixed the problem. Now the right headlight won't turn on. It tries to fire but stays off. What's the simplest fix? I want to remove the kit and replace with OEM bulbs. How hard is that to to? I am looking for reliability instead of the HID look.

Please help.

Shouldn't be hard to do. I'm assuming that you know how to remove the headlight units with the provided tool. By the way, they can be a tedious PITA to put back in! There will be a hold (maybe 1" dia.) cut into the rear removable cover on the headinght unit. you'll need to come up with a way to patch it. Hopefully, the person that installed these HIDs was not a butcher.

It should be a direct unplug operation and the installation of a new pair of halogen blubs. Pull out one of the headlight units and get a good look at it before worrying too much more.

These HIDs don't work out for everyone. Mine were a nightmare, although I liked the light! I put the Halogens back in.

also another solution is to replace the ballast or bulb .

to test it take the ballast from one side and plug it to the other side

if the bulb comes on then its a bad ballast if the bulb won't come on then

its a bad bulb. ballast or bulb they only cost about 10-20 bucks on ebay.

regardless whether its vertex or who makes it they use the same plug in.

if you buy the bulb buy a set for exact color match.

I have an article on the installation of a kit just like this. Putting it back to stock would be the reverse of installation - just take out the HID stuff and then rewire the bulbs. You should be able to accomplish this within an hour or two? Here's the link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/84-ELEC-HID/84-ELEC-HID.htm

Hope this helps,

Wayne