Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Cooler Mystery

So, I have decided to install an "S" oil cooler to try to get some additional cooling without installing a center radiator on my '97 (yet).

I start to dig in by removing the intake tube to the throttle body.. and here is what I discover:

post-6627-127324718931_thumb.jpg

post-6627-127324721417_thumb.jpg

I know that the hose that runs from the top of the oil cooler is supposed to be fed by one of the hoses that runs from the back of the coolant reservoir, but when I changed my coolant reservoir a few months ago I did not notice any plugged up hoses or outlets.

Does anyone have a diagram or photo of the routing of the hose for a '97 or '98 from the top of the oil cooler to ???.

I'm guessing if the Porsche dealer does not have this part in stock I can use a standard heater hose of the appropriate diameter. The previous "mechanic" who had his hands on this apparently used a small section of fuel line and it has held up for at least 5 years that I know of!

I guess this might have contributed to slightly warmer coolant temperatures, as the oil was not getting cooled here? LOL!!!

This is one of many example of why I don't let anybody work on my cars! :soapbox:

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators

If memory serves, the line from the top of the oil cooler leads to the bleeder valve assembly, not to the coolant tank, so you might want to start looking there. Because that line snakes around, they probably cut it off beneath the intake somewhere rather than try and get the bleeder. This kind of nonsense is more than a little scary.....................

If memory serves, the line from the top of the oil cooler leads to the bleeder valve assembly, not to the coolant tank, so you might want to start looking there. Because that line snakes around, they probably cut it off beneath the intake somewhere rather than try and get the bleeder. This kind of nonsense is more than a little scary.....................

Thanks for your guidance. What is more scary is that I know this indie and he's a good mechanic and has been a client as well. If I did the same kind of work on his cases as he apparently did on my car the one time he had his hands on it, he would have been locked up and/or hit up for a couple of major $$ judgments! :cursing:

I'll have a look at some parts diagrams and see if I can figure it out, unless someone with a '97 or '98 has some photos. :eek:

Regards, Maurice.

JFP in PA is correct that is a breather hose.

post-1-127324949769_thumb.png

Loren:

Thanks for the diagram.

Part # 33 shows up as an "elec. connector".

Do you know what goes on the the other side of part 33 (i.e., what does it connect to)?

BTW, even though my Boxster is a '97, it's got a '98 engine.

Regards, Maurice.

• Moderators

JFP in PA is correct that is a breather hose.

post-1-127324949769_thumb.png

Loren:

Thanks for the diagram.

Part # 33 shows up as an "elec. connector".

Do you know what goes on the the other side of part 33 (i.e., what does it connect to)?

BTW, even though my Boxster is a '97, it's got a '98 engine.

Regards, Maurice.

On the ones that I have seen, a hard line protrudes through the fire wall from the bleeder, it slips over that. The hose itself is nothing special, just rubber water line with clamps (I always use the screw type replacements) on both ends, so you should be able to source it locally. If the right angle connection is an issue, the OEM hose with the bend molded in is about $20.......

Edited by JFP in PA