Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Scrolled through the site here and did not see much in the way of brake pad experiences. I'm at 7k miles on the C4S and looking to switch from the OE pads which are dusting up my wheels terribly to something with a lot less dusting. Considering EBC Redstuff pads. Anyone have experience with any other brand pads that have minimal dusting? Thanks!

Edited by Sweeeems

What you trade in dust, you'll probably gain in noise. All aftermarket pads I've used or heard about are noisy affairs.

I find that if I keep my wheels waxed, it helps prevent dust buildup and allows it to come off with a rinse.

• Admin

Try some Rejex on the wheels - then the dust will rinse right off.

Problem with 'other' pads is harder pads (more metal content) will wear the rotors faster. Softer pads will reduce stopping distances and wear faster.

So unless you track the car I would recommend sticking with the OEM pads. Most folks that track their cars change to track pads for the track and back to street pads afterward. Tracking will also reduce rotor life by about 50%.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I do not recommend switching pads.

Hi there,

Can you tell me about the porsche braking system ?

1. Who manufactures the rotors, pads, calipers ?

I have a MY11 2010 carerra S 3.8L

I also find you need to really put a lot of foot pressure to get some substantial brake retardation...

I've come from an AUDI RS4 V8 with ferodo 2500 pads, and goodridge ss brake lines though.

cheers.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

I have been coating my wheels with Rejex for almost 10 years now, and it works great. I highly recommend it not only for the wheels, but for the glass and for the car too.

I recently installed EBC Red Stuff brakes on my 996, and have essentially eliminated brake dust on the wheels.

Red Stuff Brake pads + Rejex = clean wheels.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have not switched pads in my 997, but I did do that on my Audi S5.

I switched to a then less known manufacturer Carbotech http://www.ctbrakes.com/.

They came recommended by some club racers, which is the niche they are aiming for.

I used their 1521 ceramic compound and cut my dusting by 80% over the Audi OEM pads.

There is virtually no noise increase, except for an occasional squeal after heavy rain. Pedal feel is almost unchanged from OEM. Stopping distance is unchanged.

The 1521 pad is not recommended for track use. See their other compounds for that application.

I also took the required step of replacing the rotors when these pads were installed (could not turn mine). It was pricey to do so, but I love the reduction in dust.

They state... "If you have had another manufacturers brake pads on those same rotors; then you will ABSOLUTELY have to replace or resurface (turn) those rotors"

Their phone rep Mike Jr. was very helpful.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There is no free lunch on this issue.  You may get less dust but you will likely get more noise, less performance, worse wear, more fade, etc.  The manufacturers KNOW people dont like dust but the dusty pads work the best, I would not switch.  Instead use some synthetic wax on your wheels. 

AND dont use wheel cleaner, its VERY harsh and will damage the wheel and caliper paint.