Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS Problem Documentations and Survey: Pls Send...

I am compiling information about RMS problems on the 996 or any other recurring chronic problem with the Porsche.

It seems that the RMS issue is the most expensive and prevalent problem/s and Porsche AG seem to want to ignore it rather than addressing the issue. If you have any problems with your Porsche's RMS, pls help the community by sending info here.

I am not interested in a lawsuit but I am interested in factual documentation and by compiling a list of problems and resolutions, perhaps Porsche may begin to truly address the problem. It is apparent this is not a 50,000 mile/4 yr warranty issue. It is an issue of responsibility on the part of the manufacturer. It hopefully will demonstrate the power of community, the internet and transparency.

Pls provide:

VIN#; Make; Model Details (Cab, Tip, PCM, PSM, etc...); Yr; Servicing Dealer; Number of RMS Problems; Resolution; Cost; Renntech Member Name; Where You're From City/State/Country

We'll post em here so folks who need them for documentation can get them.

Power to the community!!!

Frankly, I reviewed the links posted but they do not have the information necessary for folks who are affected by this to "fight" back. If there was a compiled list that was documented, one may not need to go through the lawsuit route (class action or otherwise) since such a list may constitute substantial evidence such that Porsche may just deem it easier to fix the problem.

It just seems fair that if you buy an expensive car (...or anything for that matter) and it malfunctions due to known manufacturer error, then it should be voluntarily fixed. I noticed that most RMS folks who have unresolved or adverse situations are mostly in the UK.

In the US, there are of course various vehicles for redress, including Federal Trade Commission action National Highway Safety and Traffic action (unsafe vehicle), civil suits, potential criminal liability if a blown motor leads to unfortunate incidents in highways and of course class action. The establishment of a class is a tedious process but there is no shortage of firms willing to take these on if there is ample evidence and deep pockets on the other end. Nonetheless, all these actions take time even if the case is taken (likely) as a contingency by a law firm.

Currently, I myself do not have an RMS problem (...I hope never since according to Loren they are rare on Tip equipped 996's) but as I was researching problems with the 996, I found an astounding number of RMS complaints.

What is your experience, Messagebus?

:drive:

Not a crusade... I have a natural curiosity that drives me to do these things. Are you opposed to such a compilation of information? If so, why? If not, I think the information could be useful to those who truly need it.

That's all... end of subject.

"Currently, I myself do not have an RMS problem"

Then why in the world are you on this crusade?

It will be difficult to end up with an accurate list.

There seems to be many instances whereby an 'RMS Leak' is touted as being the cause of an oil leak but in-fact the oil leak can also be caused by a faulty IMS (Intermediate Shaft) seal or even the intermediate shaft flange bolts.

It looks like there have been a number of engines returned for warranty repair under the guise of an RMS Leak when in fact the oil leak was being caused by one of the other issues mentioned. Porsche have even issued a TSB on this. (refer TSB section).

So when people mention RMS Leak - you usually have to drill down further to obtain an accurate cause of the leak - in many instances the owner may not be correctly aware of the cause due to mis-diagnosis by a repairer.

Not opposed at all. Just know that it is impossible to get an accurate database compiled because of many factors. The only true database is in the hands of Porsche and they are not gonig to give that to you. Even if you could get EVERYBODY on this board to give you that information you woldn't even be scratching the surface since we represent less than 1% of the cars that have or the potential to have an RMS problem.

messagebus. I don't these cases can necessarily be categorized. Were you planning to do anything with the information that is not already available thru an "RMS" search on this and other Forums. And while this problem may account for the majority of oil leaks in the M96 engine there have been reports of problems with cam covers and oil pans. I agree with the other posters in that what options could you provide given all this information. If a problem occurs under waranty it is solved in most (not all) cases. The problem therefore becomes those that occur post warranty. While these problems are serious problems for those that occur beyond warranty, they are probably few and far between.

If you have searched this and other forums you will have come accross my many postings on the RMS problem. I even went to the trouble of building a web site just for RMS plauged 996/986 owners with a view to collecting and collating this information. But it soon dawned on me that in order to catalogue this information and not have it tainted by bogus and duplicate posters is to ask for VIN number and some more private details of the car. This of course is not practical and so I canned the project. In fact the VINDecoder was born out of this work. The original purpose of the decoder was to verify that a given VIN is kosher and applies to the posters car. For example, say the poster enters a valid VIN but he says his car is a Cab but the VIN says its an 02 Turbo then I can figure its a bogus entry. Anyway, what I am saying here is that any collected, collated and catalogued information that would have any use (whatever that may be) in pursuing legal action of some sort would have to be bonafide and without possibility of corruption or duplication. But the simple fact is that most folks won't be in a hurry to give out the VIN number of their $70,000 car. After all, the VIN can in most countries be traced to address. Do I need to say any more.

I think your intentions are good and appreciated but the fact is it aint worth the effort. If such a site that collected this information was operated by Porsche themselves (very unlikely) or say PCNA or PCGB the officialness of these sites would warrant a poster to give up his VIN. Otherwise they just wont do it. And without the VIN there is no way to build a database of any form to hand to PAG.

One way I am trying to bring the RMS problem to light is to ensure that there are regular discussions on all the forums about it. I am also asking everyone who has had an RMS problem to display the image (see below) to support the cause. I hope that with so many RMS plagued owners displaying this image that the media will grab on to the problem and this may put even more pressure on PAG to give us an official answer to the problem. But even after my own 6 RMS replacements and fighting with the might of PCGB and threatening legal action, the fight continues. PAG simply refuse to acknowledge that there is an RMS problem in these cars and as such they put the owness (cost of repair) often back into the customers hands. In the UK that "often" is translated to "every time". I would like to see a lot more people writing letters to PAG, PCNA, PCGB, the mags and the OPCS in protest to this problem but depsite my repetitious postings in this regard, it just does not happen......PAG simply can't loose.