Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dry Engine Capacity

Is this correct? From the WSM it says 10.25 (2.22) imp. gal

oilxl.jpg

Is that 10.25 US quarts?

I recently had the engine draining for days while doing some work on it (RMS, IMS, AOS boot, Oil + Filter, Oil Pan Inspection and Reinstall, New Trans Mount).

Oil pan was removed, filter out for days, more puked out of the ims tube, chain tensioners as well - and it basically had a lot of time to "drip dry".

She took nearly every drop of 10 quarts (after a good warm up and carefully checking dipstick) and looks like it could use more, perhaps another .25 to .3 quarts.

The on board computer says it is now about 2/3's full (guessing the low mark is about 1 quart low) but I always trust the dipstick over the OBC.

Had it out for a 10 mile drive, everything looks good.

Just not used to adding that much oil after a change, largest oil change I've done maybe 8.75 ish quarts tops (really anal about drain times and having a warmed engine while draining), anyone else encountered this before?

Thanks.

oil2.jpg

Edited by logray

Thanks Loren, I am thinking those are oil change quantities. Most oil changes don't involve pulling the oil pan, removing the chain tensioners, ims bearing, then allowing the engine to sit for several days to drain.

I definitely add "a little at a time" until the dipstick reads at full...

10 quarts of liquid gold Mobil-1 5w40 though... that's where I was a little concerned and started looking more towards engineering specs in the work shop manual rather than oil change specs.

edit: sorry, 1999 3.4 996.

edit: the bottles of mobil 1 say 946ml which is .99 quarts. Guessing that I'm losing a few .01's in there not letting it drain completely. If I could lick it out and spit it into the engine I would at these prices. In any case the 10 bottles I'm guessing perhaps .95 quarts of them drained. So that would be more like 9.5 quarts and according to the dipstick still looks like it needs another .2 to .3 quarts.

Edited by logray

logray, i find this a little interesting. i have found that my 3.4 takes all of 9 qt's of redline 5-40 and still the dipstick is a little low, still taking a third of a quart. i also find the dash oil level meter to do all kinds of somewhat erratic things and have pretty much decided it's just for fun. and yes it's spendy, oil changes cost me 60$ a month without any oil burned, with a 6000 mile drain interval.

Logray- M y 1999 996 3.4 takes 9.75 qts. of Mobile 1 with a filter change and with as much as you lost, sounds reasonable. This is one line down on dash gauge and just almost full on the dip.Im'n not sure how much the pan holds.With all the oil lost in the'' Gulf oF Mexico"' from the B.P. thing what's ten quarts.

Cool thanks that makes me feel better someone else puts that much in, the thing just kept taking oil and I thought I must have done something wrong... maybe bad RMS or IMS seal or something... but no leaks from that work still and lots of miles since!

It looks like I've got a leak near the number 4-6 chain tensioner (hall/cam sensor? I have to rip it apart) and another small leak on the opposite 1-3 bank, on the outside of the variocam lid opposite the cam sensor for bank 1-3 (still trying to figure out what that thing is).