Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Much To Replace Aos?

I know that on the 996 it's a real PITA to replace the AOS. With a TIP it's even more labor intensive. I believe they have to pull the engine to get to it. That's why it's so expensive (labor.) The part itself is around $150..

Remember the dealer is going to be about 40% more expensive than a good independent mechanic. Stay away from the dealer...

Some people on the site have done it themselves. Hopefully they will reply to your post. I would contact some reputable Porsche techs in your area and see what other quotes you can get...

Good luck

Edited by phillipj

I haven't done it on a tip, but with my manual I've done it through the top by removing the manifold/plenum/alternator/airbox/various hoses/etc. It was a major pain to get at all the bolts, especially towards the rear of the 1-3 intake manifold. Then it takes a miracle to get all the hoses connected well and everything put back together.

Also saw how it could be done much easier by just removing the transmission... a much safer bet because you have a better angle to get at all the hoses.

If I had to do it again I would do it by removing the transmission - much easier to get at from behind the motor, however not sure if removing the tip trans is an harder than a manual.

If it is a C4 then it could be harder to get the trans out.

If you remove the motor of course, that would be the easiest way. Duh.

Thanks for the reply, from what the dealer said, they will charge 11 hours labor becuase they have to pull the engine and transmission out.....

I got a quote from an Indy and they gave me a price of 1300. Is this a good price? what have others paid to get theirs done?

I checked with my mechanic and he said $1300 is a fair price. As you can tell from Logray's post it's a real PITA. Might be a good time to think about and a new RMS and possibly a clutch (if you need one) while your in there.

I had mine changed when replacing my clutch. I know that doesnt answer your question directly but if you want to drive to Tampa, 'vortex will provide excellent service for very reasonable cost. Replacing the AOS was the best money that I have spend on my 02 996C2.

Finally stopped smoking on startup after tracking the car.

• 4 months later...

Mine died with no warning last Sunday at 140,100 miles. Huge smoke screen across the freeway.

Normally I would have tackled it myself and made a video, but due to time constraints and needing the car running, I reluctantly let the dealership handle it.

With a tow to the dealership it came to $1120 for my 99 C2 6-speed.

It should be noted that the AOS has been superseded since 1999 and with the current part, you have to modify the manifold to create enough bolt clearance. Even Porsche of North Houston did not know this and had to call Germany to figure out how to get things to fit back together.

I brought my car to the dealer and they quoted me 1,890.00 to replace my AOS. I have a 1999 C4 Tip. Is this about right? How much should it cost???

Just had the AOS replaced in my 2000 996 Tip. On the tip cars, the engine must be removed for this task. My indie mech charged $1300, parts and labor.

I had mine changed when replacing my clutch. I know that doesnt answer your question directly but if you want to drive to Tampa, 'vortex will provide excellent service for very reasonable cost. Replacing the AOS was the best money that I have spend on my 02 996C2.

Finally stopped smoking on startup after tracking the car.

I have to vouch for the crew at Vortex as well. Not only are the prices fair, the techs know their stuff but they stand behind their work too. I had a bad water pump bearing on one they put in. They replaced it after 6 months at NO CHARGE!. I expected the part to be covered but not the labor. Also had a difficult clutch-flywheel set up and they went way above and beyond for a happy client.

Call Doug or Sarah for a quote at 813-874-1911.

All the best,

Scott Jaehne