Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil: visual confirmation of cleanliness

Through a bizarre set of circumstances, a high-end (not OPC) dealer in Marbella was supposed to service my '06 Cab 4S... They were in a mad rush to get the car ready for me... painting the front bumper, pulling some minor dents, replacing the battery and a "service". I had to remind them to stamp the book just as I was driving away to bring the car back to the UK...

Now in the UK, and the "service" reminder is coming on... So clearly they did not reset it... Now I am wondering if the actually even did service the car (specifically change the oil). With the electronic oil measure, there seems to be no way to visually inspect the oil... Although I would agree that it might possible be difficult to verify this even if I could see it...

Are there any suggestions from the collective on how to inspect this, or should I just have it changed again as it could not hurt?

I would also like to reset the service light... any suggestions on this? I imagine most shops would be hesitant to reset this if they have not done the work...

Durametic can reset the service notification.

Draning and filling your oil is really not that terribly difficult. I undestand in the UK there even "rent by the hour" DIY shop where you can have access to the proper tools and lift.

After a few shops have underfilled or overfilled my cars throughout the years I've always done my own changes. If you have the right gear (doesn't cost much), you could even drain the oil, inspect it, and then in theory put the same oil back in (assuming you've assured no debris has entered the pail of used oil and have a screen to filter it before re-filling). Or for some insurance, $60-$80 USD gets you fresh oil.

Or losen the drain plug enough until some oil comes out, won't take much - to see if it is clean and the oil was just changed.

I too dislike the fact they have removed the dipstick in newer models... no redundancy on an electronic reading system for the most important aspect of your engines health, IMHO.

Edited by logray

I have never done this but maybe you could drop a long wire

down the fill tube. Then you could pull the wire out and see if

it is dark or clear. Make sure to use a strong wire because

you don't want it to brake.

You probably do not need to go to deep into the motor

with 9 quarts in it.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

go get your oil changed asap. isn't not nearly as expensive as you motor and there really is no way to check. electronic display is the only way to be certain for the level but i wouldn't trust sticking a wire down the fill tube to check the color. might as well be 100% certain anyways....it's a porsche. besides, you can make sure and get your service light reset as well.

Edited by vwLIFE