Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi guys, Im thinking of getting a 05-06, possibly S.

but coming from a 996 and after going thru engine blowup, not sure what to expect from the 997...

Has there been any issue with the 997 3.6l or 3.8l engine? Any leaking issues?

Was there any recall on any parts? How is the stock suspension at high speeds?

Is the S rear width same as 4S's?

thanks

Get an '06; they have a revised and stouter IMS bearing, and yes, the 997's have fatter fannies--at least the 'S' does. No leaks or IMS/RMS issues however from my '05S with 46K+ on the odo.

Get an '06; they have a revised and stouter IMS bearing, and yes, the 997's have fatter fannies--at least the 'S' does. No leaks or IMS/RMS issues however from my '05S with 46K+ on the odo.

The 997 is wider than the 996 in general. 996 were 1770mm with the exception of the 996 4S that had the 1830mm wide body. The 997 3.6 and the S are both 1808mm wide, 997 AWD models (4, 4S, Targa 4/S) are 1852mm.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm following the same route as the original poster. Sold my 996 at 80k miles after reading too many posts about IMS failures and plan to purchase a 997. From above, it appears that the '05 997 may have the same IMS configuration as the 996. Is this correct?

• 1 month later...

It's the "Intermediate shaft" common to M96 engines (1999-2008)

Do a search here and you will find a PLETHORA of information on the IMS. The IMS design is a weak link in the design of the engine. The design was to save manufacturing cost during a time when Porsche was in financial duress.(at least that's the concensus.)

Not a stupid question.. Nobody but Porsche owners would know..

Here is a great link that was posted recently to help you understand the IMS.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/35117-ims-bearing-replacement-complete-giant-tech-article-inside/page__pid__186057#entry186057

Edited by phillipj

Etienne,

Congradulations on the new car! You're are going to love it (but you know that.)

Get an extended warranty (if you don't have one) With such low miles it will be easy to get. I will never have a Porsche without a warranty (been bitten once,,)

Enjoy!

:drive:

Etienne,

Congradulations on the new car! You're are going to love it (but you know that.)

Get an extended warranty (if you don't have one) With such low miles it will be easy to get. I will never have a Porsche without a warranty (been bitten once,,)

Enjoy!

:drive:

Thanks very much, I DO love it;))

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to extend the warranty when it expires in another 2 years time.

Take care

Etienne