Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help installing replacement radio

I am trying to replace my CRD-22 with a Sony BT3600 into my 2002 boxter. I'm keen to upgrade as the Sony unit has Bluetooth phone, AUX and USB and is reasonably priced (unless there is a better alternative?).

The Sony comes with a lead which terminates in a standard ISO plug which plugs into the car ISO socket. I have purchased an adaptor which allows me to connect the other socket (which has the audio line in connectors) to the Sony line outputs. Looked like a very easy install, except that I hear no music!!

The radio powers up fine, and if I plug the Sony line outputs into my small travel amplifier I hear the music fine. I can also confirm that the music reaches the pins at the end of the wire so there are no faults in the adaptor wiring and the audio is going to the right pins. It switches off and on fine with the ignition, and I've measured the voltages on the ISO connector and they are identical to the voltages I get when the CDR-22 is installed, except the arial/amplifier control pin reads 12V for the CDR-22 but only 10.9V when connected to the Sony. To push the voltage up, I connected a 10ohm resistor between the 12V and the control pin but this had no effect (apart from raising the voltage on the control, of course).

The only missing pins are the "speed" one and the "illumination". It's as if the car amplifier just refuses to switch on. Does anyone know how the amp turns on or spot what I'm doing wrong. I seem to have measured and tested everything I can, and cant find more info on the various forums here. Please help!!

Thank you Richard for your swift response. Your post was really helpful. My Porsche manual says that pin 6 is not used, but after your post I checked the voltage on the CDR-22 pin and it indeed changes to 12V when the radio is turned on. Further inspection of the adapter lead revealed that the pin is indeed wired, to a separate bullet connector. Fortunately, the Sony has a separate switched 12V output so I connected the two and VOILA! the music burst forth. No cutting of leads etc.... so pleased I didnt have to do that as I'll install the original radio when I sell the car (will be a sad day, I think!).

Cheers

Peter

Sorry. I should have explained that I did that diagram for someone who didn't have an adapter lead, so they had to cut the wire to the yellow plug and join it. As you have found, if you have the correct adapter, you just have to connect the wire in it to a switched supply.