Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Completed aftermarket Navi install

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2006 Cayenne and love the way your radio looks. The one I have is currently like yours and I have to get an aftermarket stereo. I am currently looking at getting the Pioneer 930 and wanted to know where you were able to get the faceplate and also if you were able to have it wired so you could use your steering wheel controls. I live in Los Angeles and I am looking for someone reasonable to install. If you know of anyone, please let me know that as well. Thanks for your help and your post!

• 1 year later...

I have a 2008 CT and I am working on installing the most-hur right now. I think I'm having similar problems right now because everything is connected but I have no sound. I have taken your advice and change the volumes around, tried 140, 50, 86, etc but I have no sound. Do you have any suggestions for what else could be wrong, or is my MOST HUR unit defective? I know it at least partially works because the steering wheel buttons control my unit perfectly. Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

So I had the Kenwood in for 3 years, it was ok. The head unit itself had a lot of glitches in my opinion for a "Flagship" model. It was slow, very slow and not that responsive to touch were my major complaints. I have since just updated to the new Alpine INE-Z928HD. Since I use the Nav-tv Most HUR I have only Kenwood and Alpine to choose from. Kenwood made this real easy, no major improvements same slow interface. Well I absolutely love this Alpine, very fast and sensitive to touch. The 8" screen fills in the dash super nice. I really love the HD radio incorporated into it, it displays cover art!!!!.

I added some extras this time, I did keep my SiriusXm (love it for my Fox news fix on the way to work) and the old 30pin iPod adapter. I added reverse cam and a HMDMI to composite converter. This converter is great, it is powered by USB and it will convert HDMI signal to composite. I use it connect my iPhone 5 and use the mirror display. I used it last weekend to keep kids entertained with Netflix. I just use iPod adapter as video hardrive, I have an old 120GB ipod that I have tons of movies loaded on now for long trips.

I have the aux output sent to my center video console as shown in the my original post:

post-45807-057013400 1280457679_thumb.jp

The hardest part of install (most frustrating) was getting the boot screen converted to Porsche logo. The poopoo heads at Alpine will not release how to do it. Unlike Kenwood where there is forum for hack and mods there is no forum for Alpine. I am still shocked by this. Alpine wants only "Flagship Installers" to do this mod, called one up and they want to charge $100. In short, I have acquired instructions from a friend of friends kid who works at a installer. What really ticks me off is that it took less than 3 min to do. I have included (if possible) a formatted Porsche logo, the one I am using.

Instructions and pics below, enjoy:

Alpine Boot Screen instructions (as usual, attempt at your own risk)

-Picture: Save as BMP, 24bit , 800x480 (24bit = 8bit x 3 color channels)

Save onto fresh formatted USB drive and connect to USB port of radio

-Press and hold the "Band" soft key on radio screen for 2+ sec

-Press the dual screen soft key once (lower right)

-Press telephone hardkey once

-Press volume down button

Please Wait will appear and it will automatically reboot with Porsche Logo

I have screen shots sent to me of the page from actual instruction manual, but I don't want to get sued for copyright etc etc.

Since the HDMI converter is run via USB, I got a generic 12v accessory female reciever and wired to the acc switch, so it is only powered when car is on. Then installed a dual USB charger and connect the iPhone and HDMI cords to this. So this will autmatically turn on when car is on and shut off when car is off. This will also charge the iPhone too.

Original PCM Radio - yuck ! post-45807-095646500 1280457496_thumb.jp Old Kenwood post-45807-066540600 1280457530_thumb.jp New Alpine post-45807-0-69325900-1379532796_thumb.j

Glovebox connections: HDMI cord/Lightning cord to adapter, Alpine 30 pin ipod cord with USB,,,,, no dual USB on this unit.

post-45807-0-02166100-1379530274.jpegpost-45807-0-46815400-1379530293.jpeg post-45807-0-67214600-1379531394.jpegpost-45807-0-09519800-1379531431.jpeg

Mirror display

post-45807-0-49685000-1379530331.jpegpost-45807-0-82938200-1379530338.jpeg

HD Radio with Cover art and TV button for iPhone

post-45807-0-92476300-1379530360.jpegpost-45807-0-84580100-1379530372.jpeg

Rearview Camera, comes automatically when you put into reverse

post-45807-0-62144800-1379530389.jpegpost-45807-0-27128400-1379530420.jpegpost-45807-0-18127300-1379530430.jpeg

These are the extras items I bought with links below:

post-45807-0-17174700-1379530881_thumb.jpost-45807-0-83997200-1379530891_thumb.j

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZZQ5EY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KN18K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Change from jpeg to BMP

post-45807-0-16092600-1379530904_thumb.j

If this does not work you can download from my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czhxzmh1lskohvg/Alpine%20Porsche%20Logo%20800%20x%20480.bmp

post-45807-0-53543800-1379531177.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Your install looks pretty nice. Few questions if you can provide some details:

1. I was looking at Kenwood DNN990 and as you have indicated, the lag is too much to deal with. Hence, I am looking at installing this alpine unit. The reviews are mostly great except for navigation interface and maps. What are your thoughts on it? How does navi compares to your previous kenwood unit?

2. Did you reuse the dash kit from your kenwood install or did you get a new one to fit alpine? If yes, do you have link to the new one?

3. Lastly, any comments on rear view camera install and any links of what you installed? Is it pretty straightforward to install? I am considering installing a wireless to avoid drilling into the bumper and/or running wires from the back to the front.

Thanks for your help....

I used same face plate, used my Dremel and a file. I was torn between bumper and rear wing, as I was trying for a discreet look. Bumper came out fairly well and I can plug hole with "Bumper Plugs" if need be. I went with the actual Alpine camera for plug and play purposes. It was real easy. I also chose bumper because of easier wiring. It was straight forward, pull bumper off, drill hole after marking of course and running wires to deck. More patience than anything, no hiccups at all.

The Kenwood was killing me, literally with the lag. New units are no different. The interface is so much faster and responsive. Maps take a getting used to. I did/do prefer the Kenwood layout, but that is the only thing I would carry over. I like the POI's and how you can filter. I have always been a Pioneer guy up until 3 years ago and now with the Most-hur, I am stuck with either alpine or kenwood.

• 2 months later...

How is Alpine unit working out for you? If you had to redo it all over for a stock car, what would you recommend?

I am deciding between a- less than $500 - Dension 500S to hook up my iphone and rely on iphone for all music/navi etc (I rarely use Navi) b- close to 2500$ - for a full solution like you have installed and get options like rear view camera, video playback etc.

Edited by mikeymikey

Some follow-ups about the camera: how do you route wiring from the bumper to the front? Did you hide it under the floor carpet? And how do switch wires from the inside to the bumper - are there any pre-existing holes that you are using or did you had to drill into the floor?

thanks!

I used a step drill bit to make a hole dead center. I routed the cables along passenger side under carpet/door sills. Once bumper is off you have a lot of room to route wires inside. I love Navi and use quite a bit. It works seamlessly with iPhone, you can also have accounts so it will change from me to my wifes settings with a press of a button.

If I was to do it all over again I would still go this route.

Hi i am very interested in your set up specifically from the music side. Can you tell me if you do any bluetooth music streaming? I have the exact CTT you have 2004 with the factory unit. I purchased this beast about a month ago and I want to replace the factory unit with something more modern but do not want to compromise the quality of the sound system. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I live in Phoenix, (Ahwatukee area) and would love to see your system if you still are in Arizona. Thanks

....Dan

• 4 weeks later...

ok great one quick question does this alpine unit interface with the fiber system in the CTT? What does the back of the radio look like when hooked up to your system? do you have any photos you can share of that part?

Edited by scubatahiti

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had someone install a Pioneer AVIC X950BH and he didn't tie into the headlamp circuit so the unit would adjust from day to night. I'm not taking it back and I'm pretty sure I can fix it myself. What I'm lacking is a wiring diagram showing where to tie into this circuit. Can someone help me out or give me some guidance?

Thx