Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE speed cut-out hack

I know it has been beaten to death here, but I have seen references elsewhere that if the car has no PSM, then the speed cut-out hack can be done in a simpler manner. Yes or no and if yes, how? My '01 996 is at the dealer as we speak being fitted with the PSE and electronics.

There is a pin on the relay which goes to the speed signal wire that you can bend which will allow your PSE to be on at all times. Unfortunately, I dont remember the pin #. You might see if you could get someone with access to the Wiring Diagram books to look it up for you. I know its there because thats where I looked when I wanted to do this.

Look here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2470&hl= Just cut the diode in the "abgassklappen relays". This will prevent the speedo signal reaching the electronics of the PSE only. All other circuits needing the speedo signal ( including PCM ) remain intact, no side effects.

Greets, Eddy

Interesting, sounds easy ! You say it's located under the dashboard. Meaning inside the car ?

Sorry, but I ain't technical at all :notworthy:

I have a question about this PSE as well.....

If I cut-out the by-pass, the PSE is always on at any speed, BUT..can the PSE still be turned ON and OFF?

tia

Yes it can, the diode is the speedo signal only. So, after cutting this diode, you can switch the dashboard switch, on off . ( In fact, i switch my PSE OFF most of the times ... ) PSE is default ON , so switch off whenever you want.

Yes, the relay is inside the car. just have a look under the dashboard, you see a little "box" abgassklappen " Pull it out, en open it, you will see the little orange colored diode, going to a pin market " 1 "

Best, Eddy

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmmm.... maybe I should check my audition is normal, the thing is that I've recently installed (gorgeous) PSE and I've been told by the staff that in Spain (where I live) there's no such thing as the referred cut-out between above mentioned speeds.

In other words. First place that PSE works 100% full time, no need to mess around with diodes. And in the second place that I haven't noticed the sound is any weaker between referred speeds, which is something that could only happen in certain markets, as could be mine. Another possibility, certainly, is that I need to check my own audio perception.

Could it be true?

JM

Edited by JotaEmE

• Admin

You will not have the cut out at approx. 45 kmh / 28 mph to approx. 68 kmh / 42 mph. if the electronics and vacuum controls were not installed. In a factory option install the electronics and vacuum stuff is always installed. If a dealer (or owner) installed then it is optional. Without the electronics and vacuum stuff the exhaust is always open.

As a part of the aftermarket PSE installation, there is a single grey/pink wire that plugs into jumper position 23. At jumper position 23, there exists a number of grey/pink wires that are installed at the factory ... along with empty slots where one can plug-in the added aftermarket PSE wire. The aftermarket wire terminates with a spade lug that plugs directly into the back of the jumper.

You can avoid the 30 - 45 mph cutout by simply not connecting the aftermarket grey/pink PSE wire to jumper 23. Everything else works as expected, including the dash mounted on/off switch.

There is no need to do the "hack" on an aftermarket PSE installation. Simply unplug the new grey/pink wire from jumper 23. It should be obvious which grey/pink wire is the aftermarket wire, as it is not a part of the large factory bundled wire loom.

• 13 years later...