Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What are people paying for an Oil Change around the Country?

A friend of mine was suprised to find out I had been paying $350.00 (before taxes) for an Oil Change and "service"? I have only taken it to the Porsche Dealer and he said he paid $210.00 at his Indy Dealer. I asked Main line Porsche if there was any reason for the much higher cost and they said they are doing other services beyond what an Indy was capable of . I was being really nice to them and followed up with "what other service?" They put me on hold and transferred me to a service manager. He got on the phone and said "we also check the Air in your tires." :eek: I just laughed..... Good bye Porsche Dealer.

B

I pay $150 from my Indie.. I would never pay more than that.. $350???:unsure: $295??:huh: That is disgusting.... Please don't do that anymore. It's so easy............. No reason to gouge you like that....

The oil costs around $8.50 to $9.00 a quart and the filter is $15.00. That's about a hundred bucks. So you're paying $200+ bucks labor to un screw your drain bolt and pour oil in your car... Not good... Shop around or do it yourself.

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

Dumb question, but how do you drain all the oil since there is oil in the crankase, oil cooler, and the lines that connect from front to rear of the car? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think there is more to it than just draining oil from one plug. The air filter change is certainly a simple task, but at the time it was a matter of convenience. As most shops do, there is usually a "courtesy check" involved that may lead to more work but can be informative towards future preventative maintenance. Thanks to all for any and all of the comments and suggestions.

• Admin

Dumb question, but how do you drain all the oil since there is oil in the crankase, oil cooler, and the lines that connect from front to rear of the car? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think there is more to it than just draining oil from one plug. The air filter change is certainly a simple task, but at the time it was a matter of convenience. As most shops do, there is usually a "courtesy check" involved that may lead to more work but can be informative towards future preventative maintenance. Thanks to all for any and all of the comments and suggestions.

How to change your oil and filter

• Moderators

On the M96 engine, the oil cooler sits on top of the engine, making it the highest point in both the oil and cooling systems (it is an oil/water heat exchanger). As such, draining either system (just pulling out the drain plug) fairly completely drains the cooler without any other effort..................

Just do it yourself. Oil is the most expensive part, I used 9L of Luby Moly 0W40 which costed me about $100. + oil filter and drain plug, roughly about $120.

Good thing about DIY is that I can let the oil drain as long as it takes ~ 40 min or so. I doubt any garage can wait that long to clear out the old oil .

The 996 is a piece of cake to do. It takes me just as long to get the oil filter off my 4Runner as the complete oil change on the 996. (Joking - somewhat...).

I had a 4Runner so I would agree with your time. My next SUV was a Toureg. I couldn't even get the brush guard off in the time it takes to change a 996's oil.

• 3 weeks later...

The dealer here in Orlando, is also outrageous as far as the price goes. What I do (to save doing it myself) is I go to Wal-mart (yea them ? ) Buy my oil there,and take my mail order filter to a local guy who usually works on BMW's

but can easily do this. The parts (oil & filter) in total cost me "about" $62 -$68 usually and the BMW guy charges me $15.00 for labor,and does the usual checks while up on the lift. So for 'around' $80.00 I get what the dealer would

charge me about $280.00 LOL ! Why would you go to them ? Or do it yourself . The Porsche dealers REALLY screw people on this service. Dave....

Whilst I agree that the standard $295-$350 dealer oil change is robbery, mine does detail the car while I am there, check anything that might need doing from Porsche, etc. Remember that they have to occupy prime real estate, don't sell many cars compared to BMW dealers, etc. You're paying for the exclusivity to a large extent. And, of course, half of those driving Porsches have money to burn and even have the car picked up for an oil change. It's all relative and when the cars retail at $100k give or take, this is the way it goes. The exclusivity is a good part of the pleasure, whether you driving purists want to admit it or not :-)

After all that sympathy, ironically I have mine done at an Indy now for half the cost - but that's about the dealer being clueless about something mechanically that the Indy fixed right first time. So, they lost my business rather than offended me with charges. And, the Indy's three times the drive with no loaner (but the route there is a scenic drive, which never offends). Couple that with the fact that the Indy has more pre 996 vehicles in for repair and restoration and I've been smitten ever since. It's more fun to go there and see the 914s, etc. being checked out prior to track day than it is to go to the dealership and paw over the brand new vehicles.