Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche wheel crest adhesive ? Mine fell off !

I guess I was lucky,as one of my colored Porsche wheel crest's fell off and I found it on the garage floor. I understand these little badges are $65.00 each as well,as others have said on here. Question !

So this does not happen again. Does anyone know the best type of adhesive to use,and how to prep the surface,so this never happens again ? Next time I may not be that lucky in finding it, and yes I know about super glue,been there done that on my BMW M-3 wheel crest, it fell off within a month. I need something that bonds permanently, any suggestions guys ? unsure.gif Cheers Brit Dave....

Agree with Loren...If you can find a wheel restoration place. In lieu of that I would be pretty certain that if you clean and scuff the surface very well(get off all loose debris)....And then use one of the two part epoxy mixtures it won't come off. I have used some of these two part epoxy mixtures to fix some amazing pieces and had great luck. They even use that stuff to fix golf clubs and you know what kind of abuse they can take. Just a thought if you don't find an official word on the subject.

Gorilla Glue makes an awesome blend...Holds about anything. The key is a clean rough surface.

Good luck!

DC

Edited by therock88

• Moderators

3M has a special product called "Plastic and Emblem Adhesive" that is used to glue metal and plastic emblems onto painted surfaces. Just about all the body shops use it, as do the OEM's. The product is #08061 and dries clear. Any autobody supply, as well as many NAPA stores carry it...............

10392.gif

I had a wheel alignment done on my 996 and one of the crests came off when the centre caps were removed, they used a clear 3M silicone adhesive and after 6 years the crest is still there.

Edited by rattles

Brit Dave:

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I made the repair with a dual-reagent bonding compound called "Permatex Cold Weld" that I found in a retail auto parts store. I lightly sanded the back of the emblem and the recessed portion of the wheel center using 200 grit sand paper to both clean the surfaces and provide some added surface irregularities for the glue to adhere to, wiped off the excess, and let it sit overnight. It has held fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave C.

I'm missing 3 creasts.... I was browsing ebay looking for a "cheap alternative" to the $65 ones ... any suggestions?

I bought a set of 4 plastic knockoff center caps, complete with colored crests that look like OEM from 5 ft away for less than $45 on e-bay. They came in just a few days from some place in Hong Kong. No complaints and I don't have to worry about someone stealing my expensive center caps. The same place where I got my center caps also sold just the crests for almost nothing. When I told a Porsche friend where I was buying the center caps and what I was paying for them, she said "be sure that Porsche is spelled correctly before you install them." Sure enough, it was.

• 11 months later...

Nice, I will look further. I see so many I'm not sure what the exact size is. If you can remember the seller and PM that would be great. Thanks!

Yes does anyone know where to find that place in China that sells the "knock off" Wheel crests / center caps etc ? I just lost another one, and noticed at the factory they hardly applied any adhesive,no wonder. Also I noticed each crest has two holes in them,as well as the center caps themselves I wonder if you can somehow screw them into the center caps ? If not why are there holes in the crest and the center caps ? I am going to remove the other 2 as well,as they are loose I just noticed,and ready to fall off. Again,where is the cheap place to get replacements at ? HELP , Britdave.

• 3 weeks later...

Search for "Porsche center wheel cap" on Ebay. There are many for sale, singles as well as sets of 4. I would go with a wheel cap recycled from a wreck rather than a china knock-off myself. These guys sell them ... http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jat-racing/

I can't imagine that cyanoacrylate (superglue) would not work (if you can find the emblem). And cold weld will certainly work.

LV