Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Do Dealers provide "training" on installed options?

I just got my first Porsche! White 2008 997 S w/ factory black wheels and only 20K miles!!

I got it from a non-Porsche dealership and was wondering if Porsche Dealers/Service Advisors offer "training" on all of the various options on the car?

For example, I know it has Sport Chrono but not sure if it's Plus or not...and would love to know how to work all of those functions since there's no manual for that. Also, not sure what version of PCM the car has...

• Moderators

I think you would have to find a dealer with too much time on their hands to get this “training”. An alternative would be to join your local PCA chapter and attend their events; I’m sure you will find several people willing to help you understand and get the most out of your car………..

• Upvote 1

I just got my first Porsche! White 2008 997 S w/ factory black wheels and only 20K miles!!

I got it from a non-Porsche dealership and was wondering if Porsche Dealers/Service Advisors offer "training" on all of the various options on the car?

For example, I know it has Sport Chrono but not sure if it's Plus or not...and would love to know how to work all of those functions since there's no manual for that. Also, not sure what version of PCM the car has...

If you want to PM me your VIN I can tell you what all the options are that came on it. Not sure of all of the manuals on this site, but consider becoming a contibuting member and you will have access to lots of additional materials and manuals.

DC

• Upvote 1

Congrats on your new Porsche!

Some dealers/service advisors will spend time with customers explaining how some features work - much easier than having customers think something is broken and wasting their time. I've seen my service advisor sit down with customers and show them how things work, and he also tops up their oil whenever they ask and does lots of other nice things. He gets lots of good presents from customers all year long, not just during the holidays

Nice to hear you have a great dealer Geoff. Rusnak here in Pasadena could use a couple of semesters of charm school :censored:

Phillip - I know from your previous posts you've been less than fortunate with your local dealer. There are a few Porsche dealers relatively close to me, and I've heard both glowing praise and horror stories about each. I didn't know anything about my local dealer when I bought my first Porsche, but they treated me OK and I kept giving them business. Several service advisors have come and gone, and my current one is definitely the best I've seen at any dealership, Porsche or otherwise. I know I'm lucky, and dread the day he leaves for greener pastures. I've come to realize it's a two way street with all these guys, at least the ones with some personality, and have become relatively good friends with the service advisor and mechanics, even to the point of helping them do their job (like grabbing a car tag and writing down the VIN and mileage on my way in the door). I never demand anything of the dealer, and find they appreciate customers who realize they're doing the best they can, even if they screw up sometimes (which they have, even big time once or twice, but always make it right). I always try to show my appreciation when I see them, and nice bottles of their favorite high-end booze (or dinner at their favorite local restaurants) at the holidays pays off way more in terms of service than what it costs me. And when they go out of their way for service I make sure they get something in return.

My wife was appalled when I invited the head mechanic from the dealer to play golf at the country club one day. By the second hole, she turned to me and said he was OK and could come back any time, and she thoroughly enjoyed dinner with him afterward (he's been back to play with us since then). When I brought her Carrera in for the 60K service, he spent hours going through the car tracking down all the rattles and getting rid of every single one. There was no charge. Sure the dealer service costs more than most independents, but in the long run all the extra benefits even out the cost. Bottom line is if you are their friend, dealer personnel will go out of their way to help their friends. I could go on about other things they've done for me, or I've seen them do for other customers, but you get the idea.

But as you realize, there are some service department people (both men and women) who could use a refresher course in charm school, and they are the ones best avoided.

Geoff,

That's a great story.. The Turbo I just bought is a CPO car. Which means I'll be taking it to the dealer, I have established a pretty goo relationship with the service manager there. One of my friends has also introduced me to his favorite tech there who is supposed to be one of the best.

It's the managment that's so awful. Really rude and snobs. Like I'm supposed to respect a rude car salesman. right up there with a retail clerk.

Hopefully I will have a good experience to report when I bring my car in for a few minor issues.

All the best