Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking to purchase one of the first 996 models to come to the US

I am looking at purchasing a 996 C2 that is #9 brought to the US in 1999. The person is asking $54,000 for this car. Can anyone offer any guidance on this price? I have spoke to Auction houses and there is very limited information on the first 996 models sold in the US or where to price them. Chrisities has not auctioned any that are first models. Please note I do know that the $54K price is high for this model but I am looking at it as a collector (that will be driven).

The general consensus on 996's is that there were too many made for them to be "collector cars." I am not sure that having one of the earliest cars imported to the US is going to have that big of a positive impact on the value of the car. And the early cars were known to have some problems.

For $54,000 you could be driving a 997 or a 996TT.

I am looking at purchasing a 996 C2 that is #9 brought to the US in 1999. The person is asking $54,000 for this car. Can anyone offer any guidance on this price? I have spoke to Auction houses and there is very limited information on the first 996 models sold in the US or where to price them. Chrisities has not auctioned any that are first models. Please note I do know that the $54K price is high for this model but I am looking at it as a collector (that will be driven).

Agree with Dharn55....There is no novelty in when it came to the US. #9 just means there were MANY more behind it. There are a ton on the market and what you are really buying is a 1999 996. When you are ready to sell it, someone will likely be willing to pay for a 1999 996 and nothing else. But cars are worth whatever the buyer thinks they are worth....So if you find some special joy in owning a 1999 that was one of the first of many in the US...That would be your decision ultimately. I would not expect to later sell it for any special amount though as it will be difficult or impossible.

Good luck with your decision....

And to Dharn's point....If you said you would drive it, and you want to spend $54K...A 996 Turbo would be MUCH more fun to drive.

DC

I in no way consider myself a car collector or expert, but I am a TV junkie.

And judging from the many hours of Barrett-Jackson auto auctions that I've watched on SpeedTV, it really doesn't seem like low VINs add much collectability to the car unless it's #1 or the final car.

Edited by DaveFL1976

Agreed,

I don't think any 1999 996 will ever be worth anything in the collectable market. Spend the money on a 997S or a 996 Turbo..

:cheers:

Already have a (original) 930 and 997 Turbo don't need anymore Turbos. Spoke to a Rep at Christies that I have worked with in the past and they believe the 996 price in the market overall has bottomed out. He relayed they believe the first 20 models will apprciate specifically for the collector marketplace. They also relayed 16 of the first 20 models are now owned by Porsche delaers and they have been contacted over the years and since the US Introduction of the 996 model in late 1998.

You're funny 'I don't need anymore Turbos". Too many Turbos....That's a good problem to have.!!.

I have a freind who years ago bought the last generation 996 Speedster new from the factory. To this day it only has 300 miles on it. That is a worth quite a bit of money.

Just seems hard to imagine how a base 99 996 Carrera could be worth anything. Even if it was one of the first ones in the US. But the collectable market is ever changing and it seems like you have done your research.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the 996.

You're funny 'I don't need anymore Turbos". Too many Turbos....That's a good problem to have.!!.

I have a freind who years ago bought the last generation 996 Speedster new from the factory. To this day it only has 300 miles on it. That is a worth quite a bit of money.

Just seems hard to imagine how a base 99 996 Carrera could be worth anything. Even if it was one of the first ones in the US. But the collectable market is ever changing and it seems like you have done your research.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the 996.

Thanks. Yes I agree a lot of times I chalk it up to the "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder category" Have a good one!