Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

intermittent squeeking noise

Since you are all so helpful, got another issue. 1999 Carerra 4, cabriolet. I have an intermittent squeeking sound, when I am going slow and especially hear it when I go over bumps, like a speed bump. Sounds like it is coming from the rear wheels more than the front wheels. Sounds like something needs to be greased. I am having new rear tires and a 4 wheel alignment done on Thursday and thought you may have some suggestions on what I should have the shop look for / evaluate.

Thanks,

Eric

There's an old TSB (6110: Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top) for a new/improved set of convertible top roof pins that eliminate a lot of squeaking and groaning. Not very expensive. I helped a friend put them in in his '99 cab and he said his top was a lot quieter; very easy to do yourself. Part numbers from the TSB are as follows:

996 561 605 02 A09 New/centering peg, incl. cap, left

996 561 606 02 A09 New/centering peg, incl. cap, right

On my Boxster, I also had intermittent squeaking over bumps and it turned out to be the front hood latch adjustment. The Boxster and Carrera front hoods and latching mechanisms are the same

Thanks for the reply. It is definately not the top. The top is a 2008 GAAH top and does not rattle. I will listen more closely to the noise. I don't think it is the hood. It seems to be near the rear tires.

Eric

There's an old TSB (6110: Rattling Noises From The Cabriolet Top) for a new/improved set of convertible top roof pins that eliminate a lot of squeaking and groaning. Not very expensive. I helped a friend put them in in his '99 cab and he said his top was a lot quieter; very easy to do yourself. Part numbers from the TSB are as follows:

996 561 605 02 A09 New/centering peg, incl. cap, left

996 561 606 02 A09 New/centering peg, incl. cap, right

On my Boxster, I also had intermittent squeaking over bumps and it turned out to be the front hood latch adjustment. The Boxster and Carrera front hoods and latching mechanisms are the same

Thanks for the reply. It is definately not the top. The top is a 2008 GAAH top and does not rattle. I will listen more closely to the noise. I don't think it is the hood. It seems to be near the rear tires.

The TSB fix is for the piece above the windshield that the convertible top goes in to. If you don't get the noise with the top down, only with the top up, it's definitely related to the convertible top

The problem with squeaks is their exact location is sometimes really hard to track down. After multiple trips to the dealer to fix a squeak that was driving me crazy, the head mechanic and I went out for a joy ride through the canyons until we found a corner where we could reliably recreate the problem. He got out of the car and I slowly drove forward and coasted back for over half an hour until he was able to pinpoint the source of the noise. The fix was easy then. It just took a long time to diagnose the problem. If you can find someplace where you can consistently get the car to make the noise and you have a assistant who can stand outside the car in various locations until you can pinpoint approximately where the noise is coming from, it will be a lot easier to identify where to start checking

Thanks Geoff:

Good advise. The noise is only intermittent and does not bother me much. But, I will take your advise and have my wife run beside my car while I enjoy a nice beer in the sunlight.

Eric

The TSB fix is for the piece above the windshield that the convertible top goes in to. If you don't get the noise with the top down, only with the top up, it's definitely related to the convertible top

The problem with squeaks is their exact location is sometimes really hard to track down. After multiple trips to the dealer to fix a squeak that was driving me crazy, the head mechanic and I went out for a joy ride through the canyons until we found a corner where we could reliably recreate the problem. He got out of the car and I slowly drove forward and coasted back for over half an hour until he was able to pinpoint the source of the noise. The fix was easy then. It just took a long time to diagnose the problem. If you can find someplace where you can consistently get the car to make the noise and you have a assistant who can stand outside the car in various locations until you can pinpoint approximately where the noise is coming from, it will be a lot easier to identify where to start checking

I now know the squeeking noise is coming from the front end of the car. Can anyone explain how to adjust the front hood latch?

Thanks

http://www.renntech....atch-mechanism/

I think the mechanic just adjusted the little rubber bumper that controls how snug the hood latches. He just loosened a nut, rotated the rubber bumper raising it, and retightened the nut. If you want, I can take a photo and highlight what he adjusted

Loren:

Excuse my ignorance, as I am not very mechanically inclined. When you recommend adjusting the hood latch, what exactly are you recommend I adjust? Am i tightening the spring, loosening the spring, moving something else?

Eric

• Admin

If it is a metallic squeak then it is likely the hood latch and locking mechanism. A little oil might do but it also may be out of adjustment (binding). So if it is out of adjustment then you would want to relieve the binding.

If it is more of a rubber squeak then it could be the hood bumpers in the bottom corner of each side of the hood.

Thanks Geoff:

Good advise. The noise is only intermittent and does not bother me much. But, I will take your advise and have my wife run beside my car while I enjoy a nice beer in the sunlight.

Eric

What happened to our language skills?. I see this all the time and it really bugs me.... The correct word is "ADVICE" not "advise". This is basic english stuff. Computers and cell phones have ruined us.. Sorry had to rant on that.....:rolleyes:

Edited by phillipj