Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

No IMS retrofit kits for M97 engine (997)

Found out from flat6innovation the intermediate shaft retrofit kits are only made for the M96 engine (996). According to Raby, M97 engine has a larger bore bearing which will not allow fitment of IMS retrofit kit. Would this mean that buying a M97 997 is a great risk? Would the DFI engine be the more durable and reliable choice for a used 997 purchase?

If you buy a used Carrera get an 06 or newer. They have the upgraded IMS bearing. I personally wouldn't hesitate getting and 06 or newer. Stay away from the 05's. Like you said you can eliminate the IMS issue altogether with an 09 or newer.

Guess it depends on your budget. Whatever you buy make sure it has a warranty. I would have a P car without one.

Good luck

I'd definately echo the previous comments, always get a warranty on these cars as there is more than one way they can go bad.

For me the warranty is essential because Porsche GB did not contribute a single penny to my rebuild and offered no discounts even though it was only 4 years old and had a full OPC service history, right down to wiper blades and light bulbs.

My M97 failed due to a broken cam chain in part probably caused by a chain roller clogging and then seizing one of the oil scavenge pumps. You can read all about it here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/33600-porsche-engine-problem/

When my engine was taken apart (2006, C2, 52k miles) there was clear evidence the IMS drive sprocket had wear on it. There were light burrs and flakes of swarf. The OPC insisted the whole IMS was replaced, which it was. I think we will see more cases of IMS failure (bearing/sprocket, whatever) in M97's as the mileages increase.

I'm just highlighting my experience so you can make up your own mind. Since the rebuild, my car has performed really well, 2k miles on, it is just going in for its first post rebuild oil change.

• 2 weeks later...

All indications are that the M97 has many of the same failure modes as the M96 (IMS, RMS, cam chain, cylinder liners, etc). Unfortunately we don't have preventative measures available yet and in some cases they are hard/impossible to do without taking the engines apart.

Hopefully Flat6/LNE figure something out.

As it stands, I believe you can buy a 996 and do the aftermarket mods and get a more robust engine than an M97.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick scan through the porsche PET parts catlalogue and it soon becomes apparent that a number of components have undergone revisions and redesign. IMHO It will always be better to have the last generation of any model , because the majority of the issues have been designed out. The IMS bearing is thought to fail as a result of a weak seal , allowing the engine oil to wash out the origiinal and effective lubricant and replace it with oil. As a result , the trapped engine oil in the bearing isnt as effective at protecting the bearing from overheating and wear will eventiually start to increase. In those cases where the seal fails significantly or the engine is run at high rpms allowing oil splash to force new oil past the seal, the wear seems to be less and eventually the seal passes so much oil that a good turn over is achieved. As a result of this theory , many engine builders now advocate removing the original seal all together even on new rebuilds. This may be a preventive course of action for existing M97 engine owners as it can be done without stripping the engine , but does require the gearbox and flywheel to be removed.

The M97 engine has a larger IMS bearing support hence the larger bearing so half of the issues should already be addressed.