Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Auto body with celette jig?

Hello,

I have continued to work on bringing my 99 996 back from the dead. The one issue that has evaded repair is that I am told I am at the stops on the wheel allignment and it can't be brought into spec, the wheel is turned a little to the left to drive straight, and the convertible top latch catches the pocket on the window frame about 1/cm to the left. I have taken it to two autobodys (said they didn't see anything obvious and they don't work on aluminum frames). I took it to the local dealer who said the frame looked twisted to him when he had it up on his lift, but once again he doesn't work of frames. I read around the internet and saw that celette frame machines are recommended for german aluminum body repairs. Next, I called one local autobody with a celette who said he doesn't have the 911 Jig and sent me to another shop where he thought they had the jig and would be cheaper. They said they also don't have the jig, but could rent it. The guy on the phone said they would have to look at it before they make an estimate. However, he said that it would cost 3K just to put my car on his machine (1K to rent a 911 Jig) and the price goes up from there based on what needs to be done. He guessed that I am talking 5-15K to get the frame straight. Does this sound reasonable to you? Does anyone know of an autobody near pittsburgh that has a 911 Jig and could do a good job at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Thanks for the comment. At the end of the day, it seems that when I pull in to ask for a quote the "standard auto body's" around me are happy to come up with some excuss to shooo me out the door. The two autobodys that seem to have this magic celette machine haven't been much better. THe first guy said he could do it but didn't buy the jig for the 911. He just doesn't do enough volume in porsches to justify purchasing. He said he could rent one but it would be cheaper to find somone who has one and pointed me to another autobody. The second place said they do a lot of porsches but they too would have to rent the fixture. They quoted me 1K to rent the fixture and 2K to disassemble the suspension and put the car on the fixture. Then we go from there to fix it and reassemble the car. He couldn't give me a quote without seeing the car but said that I was probably looking at 5-6K if very little needed to be done and up to around 15K if a lot of work was needed. I think blue book is 15-20K so making the repair doesn't make much sense. Does anyone know of someone who does a volume of porsches that might actually have this jig, know the car, and be a little more cost effective. I would be willing to make a reasonable trip. PA, Eastern Ohio, Nothern Maryland, West Virigina. Or, if autobodys need to rent this jig does anyone know if they collect a few projects and do them all together to spread the rental cost? Just trying to figure out of there is a way to get this done reasonably.