Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel gauge problem

I just filled the car with gas and the fuel gauge still shows it near empty. Whenever I start the car I get the "warning fuel low" message.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know how to fix or do I need to bring it into the Dealer for service?

Thanks

• Admin

You can try and reset the calculating circuit by disconnecting the battery for at least 2 minutes. If you go longer than five minutes you may have to reset the radio etc.

If this doesn't work then their may be something wrong with the gauge or sending unit and will likely need a dealer with a PST2 to diagnose.

OK, weird...

I was cleaning the outside of the car and after when i wanted to move it the gauge started working again...weird. Last night the radio didn't work until I turned off the ignition and restarted the car, Bam! Radio worked again.

Also, this is kinda weird and I'm not sure what's causing it but my Radio Bass, Trebble, Loudness setting seem to reset after awhile. What could be causing that? I'm worried that the Radio and Gas Gauge is just a warning for something bigger to come.

• Admin

I think the radio is a separate problem. There have been a number of reports of CDR-23's shuting off on their own and losing settings. Even some replacement radios do the same... looks like Porsche needs to sort out the new MOST network system (IMHO).

• 6 months later...

Was there any resolution to this Fuel Guage issue. I have a 2k2 Targa w. 4k kms (yes I'm Canadian) and have had the Guage malfunction twice with no codes being thrown.

In both instances:

- the weather was cold -10Celcius (it is Canada after all ;) )

- the Guage showed before Fill UP (yellow tel-tale and 76 kms left to empty & yellow tel-tale and 45 kms left to empty)

- after fill up same readings remained

- drove car spritedly ("SO SORRY OFFICER, JUST TRYING TO GET MY GAS GUAGE TO WORK PROPERLY" :lol: )

- Same "Low Fuel" readings :angry:

- Shut down briefly & restarted car with no resolution

- Shut down car for few hours: THEN GUAGE WENT BACK TO ACCURATE

As stated, Dealership found no faults either time <_<

any suggesions

TIA

lap

• 4 years later...

My apologiesw for reviving an old post, but I was wondering if anyone resolved this issue? Yesterday I went to get gas, as the guage light cam on and the message to visit a gas station appeared. I put about 5 gallons in and the message still appeared and the guage light was still on. At first I thought the gas attendant stiffed me (in NJ you can't pump your own gas :rolleyes: ). Turned off the car for a few hours, started again and the light was still on. Just to be safe I went to the gas station and added 5 more gallons (I do not want to push the car) and now the guage reads 3/4 full! Is this a sign of a bigger problem? Or should I just take the fuel guage readings with a grain of salt?

I don't know what your car MY and model is, but in some Porsches there is a hump in the fuel tank. The sensor for fuel level is in the upper hump (it actually estimates when you will run out based on mileage at the time the sensor reads no fuel)...so you have to add enough fuel to get into the upper hump...hope that makes sense.

I don't know what your car MY and model is, but in some Porsches there is a hump in the fuel tank. The sensor for fuel level is in the upper hump (it actually estimates when you will run out based on mileage at the time the sensor reads no fuel)...so you have to add enough fuel to get into the upper hump...hope that makes sense.

My car is a 2002 996 C4 Cab. Sorry for not posting that earlier. It would make sense. :oops:

My car is a 2002 996 C4 Cab. Sorry for not posting that earlier. It would make sense. :oops:

I deal with this problem every 2-3 weeks or so, since i frequently run the gas down to the point where the warning message appears. I read about this issue on another Renntech thread, and, following input from renntechers, i went back to re-read my owners manual, and it obliquely refers to the solution. After experimenting with how much fuel i need to add to make the message go away, i have found i need to add enough fuel to make the tank slightly over 1/2 full. If you aren't interested in completely filling the tank (i fall into this category), you just need to know the capacity of your tank.