Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

04 Cayenne turbo/ p0492 code/secondary air injection bank 2

I get this fault, seems like after its been idling. I get the fault second time now in 1 week. I have cleared them via the scanner. I drove the vehicle home for 1100 miles after I bought it and the code didnt show up for two days after I got it here. Could this be related to a pcv valve? I really need help with this one I dont have a manual yet, could anybody provide a workflow for this? Thanks-

Edited by Mr. Haney

• Admin

I get this fault, seems like after its been idling. I get the fault second time now in 1 week. I have cleared them via the scanner. I drove the vehicle home for 1100 miles after I bought it and the code didnt show up for two days after I got it here. Could this be related to a pcv valve? I really need help with this one I dont have a manual yet, could anybody provide a workflow for this? Thanks-

P0492 Secondary air injection system, bank 2 - below limit

Possible causes:

- Fuse F4 faulty

- Open circuit to secondary air injection pump

- Short circuit to ground in the lead to the secondary air injection pump

- Secondary air injection pump relay mechanically faulty

- Secondary air valve sluggish

- Secondary air injection pump (air cleaner) blocked

- Air hose to secondary air injection pump slipped off or is crushed

- Secondary air injection pump faulty / stuck

• Upvote 1

Possible causes:

- Fuse F4 faulty

Hey thanks Loren- maybe you could help with a couple other q's? I keep blowing fuse #4.

1. If I apply 12v to the air pump itself, should it run?

2. Which air pump is fuse #4-40amp, in the underhood fuse comp. linked to? Pass. or drivers side?

3. What do relays 19&20 in the underhood fuse comp. link to?

4. I have continuity and 0 ohms resistance on the drivers side air pump, the only one I messed with.

5. Do you know where the air pump ground goes?

6. Are the air pumps ac or dc?

7. Does the air pump relay function by providing a ground to complete the curcuit or by applying power?

8. What condition tells the computer to run the air pumps?

I know this is a laundry list of q's so, I thank anyone who can help in advance as I'm kinda tapped out money wise right at the moment. I just picked up the vehicle and have all those expenses.:)

• Admin

Possible causes:

- Fuse F4 faulty

Hey thanks Loren- maybe you could help with a couple other q's? I keep blowing fuse #4.

2. Which air pump is fuse #4-40amp, in the underhood fuse comp. linked to? Pass. or drivers side?

4. I have continuity and 0 ohms resistance on the drivers side air pump, the only one I messed with.

7. Does the air pump relay function by providing a ground to complete the curcuit or by applying power?

I know this is a laundry list of q's so, I thank anyone who can help in advance as I'm kinda tapped out money wise right at the moment. I just picked up the vehicle and have all those expenses.:)

P0492 Troubleshooting.pdf

Perhaps you would consider a donation to this site?

Possible causes:

- Fuse F4 faulty

Yes, absolutely, thank you!!!!

• 5 months later...

Bumping an old thread instead of making a new one.

My 04 CTT has been idleing a little rough and the CEL came on just today, code P0492. The coils are not cracked "05" version. I guess i should bring it to a mech to check the things on the list?

0492 can be coils related

• 3 weeks later...

Did you find the problem Mr. Haney?? I keep getting the P0492 code, i erase it and it keeps coming back. It doesn't like something haha

Possible causes:

- Fuse F4 faulty

Yes, absolutely, thank you!!!!

• 1 year later...

Since there is a thread already I'll add to it. Same P0492 code. Did the troubeshooting and found the bad fuse and while I was at it decided to check the relay and then the pump itself since there is another thread describing the impeller failure in the unit itself. Lo and behold that's my issue. I took some pics of the carnage, but also one of the good blower with the cover off to you can see what it's supposed to look like. I also had to pick pieces out of the hose itself leading to the valve behind the engine block. The cover is held on by the single screw so it's easy to inspect while still fully installed. So if anyone runs into this in the future, you can check the pump and the fuse quickly before moving through the rest of the procedure.

post-35813-0-77300400-1357269945_thumb.j

post-35813-0-56269800-1357269963_thumb.j

post-35813-0-11849700-1357269976_thumb.j

post-35813-0-99519100-1357269989_thumb.j

• Upvote 2

Nice work, i fixed mine as well. The plug came right out of the socket and was just hanging lose. I plugged it in and i have not had the error since.

I did open my pumps just to double check and they looked fine.

Now if only i could fixed my heated seat issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to post a follow-up. I had a piece of impeller blade make it to the one-way valve and lodge it open. This valve is at the end of the rubber hose the pump pushes the air through. It bolts to the back of the block and I can say with certainty that you need to come in from under the car to get to those two bolts with a long extension (forget what size e-torx it was). There is a gasket, but it didn't tear luckily. So make sure you check the hose otherwise you'll get exhaust backflowing up into a plastic pump...

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

the head,

Can you describe what the open valve sounded like? My 04 turbo with 100K started making a "thumping" noise; not really like a rod beginning to knock, but similar. No check engine light so no code to report, just a noticeable low pitched thumping only at idle speed. It seemed to come and go for a few weeks, then became a constant nuisance. I took it to the dealer for my 100Kcheckup, they said it sounded like an open SIA valve on the drivers side. They quoted $700 to replace it, and I am considering just doing it myself. Were you able to remove the broken plastic pieces and free up the valve, or did you just replace it? If replaced, how much? The cheapest I could find was $125. From your post above, it sounds like it may be a quick fix? BTW, the dealer said they have never done one, this would be their first one.

Great photos of the air pumps!! Were you able to snap any of the valve or its location? Thanks for anything additional you can add!!

No noise that I recall so there was no warning. I replaced it since the vanes that serve to move the air were all broken off. That price sounds good, I paid about $160 You can check the valve pretty easily - just disconnect the driver's side air hose from the pump there in the engine compartment. If it blows exhaust then it's bad. It's just a simple one-way valve so there is no power or vacuum required to actuate it. The air pump just overcomes the flapper and pushes air into the cat. I recall it took a universal joint and a lot of extensions to reach it and even then I had to get the socket into place by feel with my hand -it took some patience.

• Upvote 1