Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1989 944 Turbo Alternator Belt

Just got home from a week long business trip to have my wife tell me that there were dash lights on in her daily driver (944 Turbo). I went out and found the battery indicator down to about 10 volts and the ABS light on. Of course the "!" light was on. I discovered a broken belt from the alternator. So, now I have to determine what's going on. Is it just a broken belt? Does that belt also drive the water pump (I'm a 911 guy so I've got some learning to do). If the belt also drives the water pump, is the water pump shot? I guess I'll spend my weekend trying to figure out what happened. Sorry, just venting. But, if anybody has any input I will certainly appreciate it.

Timing belt was replaced some ten years ago but has no more than 5,000 miles on it. But, no reason no to follow your advice and check the timing belt while I'm at it. Bought the car several months ago from a friend in PCA. Tons of records. I know two of the three total owners.

So, the belt that broke just drives the alternator? And, there's another belt that drives the A/C compressor?

By the way, thanks for your quick response.

Alt and A/C are driven by the same belt with a tensioner device. Inspect all drive pulleys and the tensioner for range of motion and smoothness. I have seen the retaining bolts for the A/C compressor become loose over time and cause issues such as belt misalignment so be sure all bolts are correctly torqued. I believe the P/S pump is driven from a V belt in your model if memory serves.

Again, Thank You.

Got the car up on my lift this morning and pulled the shroud off so I could get a good look. I had hoped a simple belt replacement might be in order. I also looked at the broken belt and realized that it really was in good shape and should not have broken. My inspection turned up an A/C compressor with a pulley that wobbled and did not turn smoothly. I also hoped that there might be a way to run just a belt for the alternator but that will not work because the tension adjustment is on the compressor. I'll be the guys who track their cars have found a way to run without keeping the compressor in the circuit but I don't have time to see what they might have to say. Maybe next time.

I guess the A/C repair/upgrade that I hoped to put off till spring is going to happen now. The car is now at the shop which is backlogged. So, it will likely be a while before I get cost estimates. I can do many things on the car but evacuating and recharging the A/C is not one of them. I let you guys know what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Timing belt was replaced some ten years ago but has no more than 5,000 miles on it. But, no reason no to follow your advice and check the timing belt while I'm at it. Bought the car several months ago from a friend in PCA. Tons of records. I know two of the three total owners.

So, the belt that broke just drives the alternator? And, there's another belt that drives the A/C compressor?

By the way, thanks for your quick response.

4 years or 30,000 miles on pre 87 944's. Book gives 45000 on later cars with spring loaded tensioner,but I still do them @ 4 yrs or 30,000.

Howard