Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ABS PSM Fault code 4460

911rs

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, b-tuning said:

Hi , i took the switch from 2 cars  (996tt and 997tt) without abs / psm problems , the problem is still there. If there is a way to check the pressure of an activated pre brake pump?

Fault code 4460 -- Pressure sensor

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to ground/voltage or open circuit in circuit to control module terminals 25, 26 and 42

- Plug connection on stop light switch faulty

- Adjustment of the stop light switch not OK

- Wiring/ plug connection faulty

- Pressure sensor faulty (replace hydraulic unit)

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys, i have the same fault code 4460 on my 2002 996 turbo . I allready check the wirings by using the porsche droubleshooting > everything ok

Brake sistem purged convencionally (RR,RL,FL,FR) with piwis
changed ABS unit 2x new /with PIWIS purged & programmed > and changed the brakepressuresensor extra
But still get the same" Fault code 4460 "

brakelight switch / new and addjusted

pre brake pumpe under the headunit also new and purged F.R with piwis

has someone have this issue before?

As soon as i accelerate above the light pops up without standing on the brake padel

Thnx in advance best reguards from Germany

benjamin

Benjamin,

If your fault is like mine, every time the car exceeds approximately 30 mph for the 1st time following start, the 4460 error is set.  I've read somewhere that the car does a diagnostic test at 30 mph or so.  I'm not sure what this diagnostic is testing -- haven't been able to identify.

John

Update -- My problem was my brake master cylinder.  You have to use the stock MC if you want the ABS/PSM to work.  Somehow, the OEM internals are special.  I used a 997 MC that was operationally equivalent, but the PSM/ABS hated it.  Once I switched back to a (new) stock MC, the problem was gone.

Edited by jpurban
Adjusted content

• 6 months later...

I just have now this error 4460 and I wonder if .. Purging brakes without using a PIWIS ..could be one of the causes (beside the ones listed above) ?

In my case, this is a (2001) 986, on which I have a Brembo big brake kit in the front (large rotors with 6 pistons calipers) since about two years.

I never was real 100% happy with the brake pedal feel, and this .."for ever" with any 986 or 996 (more than 15 years of these).

Since about two month, I changed on my Boxster the Master Cylinder, OEM to TRW  PMN166 (Turbo type).

Btw, for your info, since this change, I would say that the brake pedal feel is absolutely fantastic. I feel that now, this is the "perfect brakes" !

But from some days, I have intermittent  ABS and PSM lights together on on dash board. Looking at the error code (Durametric), this is the "sensor error" code 4460.

My very first question about the error cause is could it be "improper purging" ?

I read (very recently) that if you do a "complete purge" (i.e.: new master cylinder), than if the car has PSM (mine has it), then the complete purging process require a PIWIS, in order to open the PSM valves in order to purge correctly,

Could this be the cause of "4460" ???

Thanks a lot in advance

Edited by gva-sfo

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, gva-sfo said:

I just have now this error 4460 and I wonder if .. Purging brakes without using a PIWIS ..could be one of the causes (beside the ones listed above) ?

In my case, this is a (2001) 986, on which I have a Brembo big brake kit in the front (large rotors with 6 pistons calipers) since about two years.

I never was real 100% happy with the brake pedal feel, and this .."for ever" with any 986 or 996 (more than 15 years of these).

Since about two month, I changed on my Boxster the Master Cylinder, OEM to TRW  PMN166 (Turbo type).

Btw, for your info, since this change, I would say that the brake pedal feel is absolutely fantastic. I feel that now, this is the "perfect brakes" !

But from some days, I have intermittent  ABS and PSM lights together on on dash board. Looking at the error code (Durametric), this is the "sensor error" code 4460.

My very first question about the error cause is could it be "improper purging" ?

I read (very recently) that if you do a "complete purge" (i.e.: new master cylinder), than if the car has PSM (mine has it), then the complete purging process require a PIWIS, in order to open the PSM valves in order to purge correctly,

Could this be the cause of "4460" ???

Thanks a lot in advance

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

I seriously doubt it, but as it would be your labor only it would be worth a try to see if it corrects the issue.  You can also do this with the Durametric system.

Thanks for FAST answer and also for the Welcome !

(..I was kind of a "dormant" person !)

Interesting comment !  (..I like it).

Taking your doubt in account (for good), I will step in with the list above.

Will report findings.. 

:)

Thanks a lot  

Edited by gva-sfo

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Steven Biggerstaff said:

Hi, l am having the exact same issue as George Katsiaris with a 996 targa.

Do you source the fault and if so what was it?

Thanks

Steven 

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

As noted above:

Fault code 4460 -- Pressure sensor

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to ground/voltage or open circuit in circuit to control module terminals 25, 26 and 42

- Plug connection on stop light switch faulty

- Adjustment of the stop light switch not OK

- Wiring/ plug connection faulty

- Pressure sensor faulty (replace hydraulic unit)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

:thankyou:   Problem solved by replacing the brake light switch.   These forums have always proven extremely useful to help me keep away from dealers or indies and bucks in my pocket.

My car (996 C2 MY2000 RHD) began showing ABS/PSM fault lights very intermittently after starting with foot on brake but before moving off.   Turning off engine and restarting initially seemed to clear the issue for that drive.   Some trips gave no fault lights at all.    But progressively it got more frequent for the ABS/PSM fault lights to come on during each trip and at a random brake application.  Durametric showed me code 4460. This switch is easy to remove, but a real PITA to install in the bayonet lock due to its position up under the dash, and with limited access due to HVAC ducting.   I ended up removing the air duct feeding the side vent to give me access, then lying on my side on the seat and reaching unsighted up and under the dash to push and turn the switch 90deg in the mount then connected the wiring.

Edited by amcleod1