Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tires and more tires!

Hey guys,

Just wondering what the agreement is on the best or best value tires to get for an "00 S model. I am looking into Hankook V12 EVO right now because they seem like a good value and also have pretty good reviews. I have OEM pilot sport on right now and they are alright but are due for replacement!

Any suggestions welcome,

Cheers,

Gulfstorm

The Hankooks are good. Here another option to look into..

I just put a set of Bridgestone RE-11's on my Turbo and I love them. Quiet on the freeway and they stick really well. They are a bit more money than the Hankooks but a lot less than the pilots. They look cool as well.

You can read reviews on them on Tire Rack.

Hope this helps

When it came time to replace the OEM Pirelli's on my '99 Boxster I did a couple of months of research (reviews, specs and talking to fellow DE and AXers) and decided on the Sumitomo HTR ZIII. They are quiet and comfortable on the road, excellent grip on the track and in AX, only slightly higher in cost to the Hankooks and are rated as a 30K mi. tire.

• 4 weeks later...

best VALUE tires would be a set of Nexen N3000,,,

will last U close to 30,000 miles.

I'm curious about the 30,000 mile expectation. I know of no one who owns a Porsche who gets anywhere near that from a set of tires - nothing that even approaches 20, 000 miles. Do you auto-x or track your car?

• 2 months later...

best VALUE tires would be a set of Nexen N3000,,,

will last U close to 30,000 miles.

I'm curious about the 30,000 mile expectation. I know of no one who owns a Porsche who gets anywhere near that from a set of tires - nothing that even approaches 20, 000 miles. Do you auto-x or track your car?

I have always heard you usually replace the rears twice as often as the fronts. I got my 2001 with 75k on it. I now have 115k on it. It came with PS2's when purchased. I am now just replacing the fronts for getting close to the wear bars. The tires are still in spec. That's 35k on a pair of Michelins. The rears were replaced w/ Falken 452's (after about 20K because of a nail.) The new rears already have 15k on them and the they are at about 70% wear left. The car is a daily driver that I put about 20K a year on. I see no reason you can't get 30k out a pair of tires if you aren't excessively throwing the car around the curves and your roads are in generally good shape.

• 1 month later...

I just put a couple of Falken ZE 912s on my rear, so far so good. Decent grip and quieter than the Sumitomos that came off but they were down to the wear bars so comparison may not be fair. Good price from Vulcan tire at $106 each and shipping was reasonable.