Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Season's Greetings

I purchased a 2005 basic 997 C2 in August of 2008 with approx 42k miles. This is a CPO car.

It has a Tiptronic S Transmission which I hate. It is well equipped with high end Bose and

Bi-Xenon headlamps and other goodies.

I currently have 55k miles on the car and will be due for a 60k service before August.

I would have to buy a third party warranty and probably a set of tires relatively soon.

I have never had any issues with the car. No IMS/RMS problems. I like the car

but not the color (Seal Grey) or the transmission.

So I'm pondering trading up to an 2009 basic or 'S' C2 with PDK and a nav unit.

I will have time before August to find a car I want.

So my question is should I invest $6k for service/warranty/tires etc or should I

go ahead and invest in a 997.2 that I want with a long warranty etc.

Basically I would be buying two or three years ahead of time.

I'm not sure if this makes sense when I have a perfectly good car that I can live with.

I'll be paying a big premium for a marginally better ride.

What would you do?

Edited by bolobar

Being a totally illogical male I would say trade up to the new one. I just did that recently with an 06 S Carrera. I had it for 11 months. I loved it. Then I drove a Turbo and had to have it.. Made no sense financially but I didn't care. I have never looked back since I made that trade and the Turbo is a dream...

Since you are not totally happy with the Triptronic in the 05 (and you never will be) I say get the new one with the PDK or 6 speed. Make sure you drive a couple of each variant first though... You won't regret it...:clapping:

Good luck!

Being a totally illogical male I would say trade up to the new one. I just did that recently with an 06 S Carrera. I had it for 11 months. I loved it. Then I drove a Turbo and had to have it.. Made no sense financially but I didn't care. I have never looked back since I made that trade and the Turbo is a dream...

Since you are not totally happy with the Triptronic in the 05 (and you never will be) I say get the new one with the PDK or 6 speed. Make sure you drive a couple of each variant first though... You won't regret it...:clapping:

Good luck!

Phillip

Thank you for commenting. I will go forward and try and find an automobile without compromise.

All I need is the fortitude to pull the trigger.

You did teach me a valuable lesson: Do not drive a Turbo while being in the 'in heat' mode.

Thanks and have a great holiday.

Bob