Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is this... And why is it making noise?

ad504ecf-8041-26b5.jpg

ad504ecf-8052-0c2f.jpg

I guess the best question. Is it serious, and is it expensive?

It's making a sort of metallic popping sound from the passenger floor board, right below the windshield. And has gotten progressively more frequent recently.

Also seems the noise is connected to the brake pedal somehow, lightly tapping the brake pedal makes it happen but sometimes when driving... If I release the brake pedal to pull out, it pops like 3 times.

I have no idea what that thing is, or how it works. And I'll probably either laugh hysterically at my own idiocy because it's real simple. Or cry because it's expensive and means something serious is going on.

Thank you in advance.

That is the cruise control servo. Get on from your local breakers yard.

Ok. So is it a "well this is bad, so that means this is probably either bad, or going bad" kinda thing?

Easy fix? Found one for 30 bucks on eBay. I've never heard the term "breakers yard" so I'm assuming this is a junkyard? In which case... I'm in west virginia, that ain't happening. These aren't in junkyards.

I don't know why it would be making noise and shouldn't be doing anything unless the cruise control is activated. Are you sure the noise is coming from this unit? Try disconnecting the electrical plug to isolate the fault.

Breakers yard is a junk yard.

from the picture i can see that the Servo is located next to the shock mounting. in my opinion that's where the noise might be coming from (or something in the suspension system)... try to see if it has any leeway/moves a bit when pushed by a screw driver...

To the best of my knowledge it has nothing to do with speed, or roughness of the road.

After one of the members above told me it's name. I googled it a few times and found a few pages and forum posts on it. One site said to unplug it and see if it stops clunking.

It was recently at a Porsche dealership getting a service, I told them that I had a "German" ECU in it and that because of this the Cruise Control didn't work. Previous owner said he had this ECU installed because the car had no Catalytic Converters. I go "Ok, sounds believable." So the dealer says, we replaced the Computer with an American one. Cruise still didn't work and that's when the noise started. A website said a bad computer can cause this... So I'm about to have a talk with a service manager. I was in Afghanistan at the time and the more I think about this dealership experience I can't help but feel like they cheated my mother (who took the car there while I was down range) just because ... Hey, it's easy to tell a woman anything about cars. :P

Edited by SSMotorhead

What ECU are you referring to? The DME for fuel injection/Ignition has nothing to do with the cruise control as it is control by a seperate control module.

Interesting note I'll be asking the service manager soon.

I'll be honest I don't know much about this car. I assumed being an engine related function it'd be controlled by the PCM. But the cruise has a separate module?

Guess it's possible the computer they replaced wasn't my "no-cat PCM" but the one in question?

Hmmm. Something isn't adding up here.