Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Fluid Flush Time

I figure it's time to flush the brake fluid in my '99 996, as I've had the car for a year and have no idea how long the fluid's been in there.

The Motive brake bleeder pump looks pretty nifty, so I'm going to invest in one of those. I guess my two questions are:

1) What's a good fluid for a daily (spirited) driver and occasional autocross car? (hope to take the car to a PCA track day or two this year, also)

2) How much fluid do I need for a total flush?

thanks!

Dave

Edited by DaveFL76

Thanks, yeah I found that DIY already. Awesome writeup; actually that's what gave me the confidence to want to do it myself.

I'm a bit hesitant to go to the dealer and get fluid that's probably 2x the price of something comparable that I can get online or at my local parts store. I was hoping folks could chime in with some fluid recommendations...

EDIT... just looked up ATE mentioned in the instructions... didn't realize it was a brand name. Now it all makes sense!

Edited by DaveFL76

ATE is great but can be hard to find locally...

Castrol GT LMA is excellent and easy to find, we use it in all street cars that see duty like yours. I suggest 2 of the large bottles (maybe about 30 oz? I foget) for a complete flush

If you have a power bleeded I also have found it way easier not to add fluid to the bleeded (only air) and add the fluid only to the resevour as it becomes low (watch careful or you introduce air into the system and have to start over) but it makes it way easier to clean up - also remove as much fluid as you can from the resevour before adding new so yopu dont have as much "mixing" (I use little syringes from the pharmacy, they are free and disposible)

lastly any open unused fluif... recycle (discard) as it will absorb water on the shelf... the stuff is cheap so no need to take a chance later of adding bad fluid

Cool, thanks for the info. I did a little research on the ATE Super Blue and found that it's BANNED in Florida! The ATE Gold is legal; they just don't want blue brake fluid in the State. I'm glad to see my lawmakers are focusing on the really important stuff instead of violent crime or welfare fraud.

Castrol GT LMA is excellent and easy to find, we use it in all street cars that see duty like yours. I suggest 2 of the large bottles (maybe about 30 oz? I foget) for a complete flush

If you have a power bleeded I also have found it way easier not to add fluid to the bleeded (only air) and add the fluid only to the resevour as it becomes low (watch careful or you introduce air into the system and have to start over) but it makes it way easier to clean up - also remove as much fluid as you can from the resevour before adding new so yopu dont have as much "mixing" (I use little syringes from the pharmacy, they are free and disposible)

lastly any open unused fluif... recycle (discard) as it will absorb water on the shelf... the stuff is cheap so no need to take a chance later of adding bad fluid

• Moderators

Cool, thanks for the info. I did a little research on the ATE Super Blue and found that it's BANNED in Florida! The ATE Gold is legal; they just don't want blue brake fluid in the State. I'm glad to see my lawmakers are focusing on the really important stuff instead of violent crime or welfare fraud.

For some reason, a couple of states have done so. So then you order it online, and they ship it in; so much for legislative actions...................

• 2 months later...

I don't use the "blue" fluid because it stains everything including the brake reservoir. My guess it makes the fluid hard to recycle as they have to clean the dye from it.

Hmmm . . so that's why my reservoir is bluish.

Gotta clean it up (if i still can) & fill up with Motul RBF600.

:renntech: